Fedora Core 5.0 and SimplyMepis

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by gtoman, Jul 8, 2006.

1. gtoman

gtoman New Member

I have an emachines T6528 with an AMD Athlon 64 CPU with XP home on primary master, simplymepis hard drive on primary slave, a cdrom on secondary master and fedora core 5.0 hard drive on secondary slave. XP goes online and emails with no problem. neither of the linux os hard drives won't go online. i used to get simplymepis online when it and the xp hard drives were the only ones in the pc, set as primary master and primary slave. now after i installed the fedora hard drive neither it or the simplymepis will go online. what can be done to enable them to go online and set up email programs in them? simplymepis, in the past, has been very good with everyhting, but ever since i installed fedora on another hard drive and installed it as secondary master neither one of them will go online. should i just get rid of it? my goal is to have 3 hard drives, 3 os's , and be able to do everything with them. i've tried disconnecting the fedora hard drive and I'm still having the same problem with simplymepis not going online even after i disconnect the fedora one.
    any help will be appreciated.
    thanks, Jim

2. kaonix

kaonix New Member

Well, as far as having Mepis and Fedora on separate hard drives, I would just ditch the Fedora. There's nothing you can't do in Mepis that you can in Fedora, it's kinda like having Windows XP and Windows 2k on the same machine... Your network issues. Hmm, first we need some information.

What kind of internet connection do you have? Dial up? Cable? DSL?
    Are you connected with a router? Does your router use DHCP to give IP addresses
    Is your DHCP server giving your Mepis machine an IP?
    You can check this by going to the Mepis OS Center, (K-Button, Mepis OS Center eth0)

Is there a possible IP conflict on your network?
    When you boot to Mepis do any error messages pop up?

3. dishawjp

dishawjp New Member

Hey! Kaonix. Even though I far prefer Fedora to Ubuntu, I sure as heck wouldn't tell someone to just ditch Ubuntu. I might advise them to lose their Windows install though :)

Anyway, Gtoman, I can't tell you how to configure your internet connection in Ubuntu, but in Fedora the command (typed into a terminal) is:

system-config-network

The fact that you're using multiple hard drives shouldn't affect a thing. My main home computer is a dual boot FC4/FC5 box with FC4 installed on hdd and FC5 on hdc. It works without a hitch. More to the point would be the type of network interface you're using and what the status of your internet connection is as Kaonix asked. Give us some more info and we can probably get you online.