Fedora Core 5 Setup copy-paste using PuTTY

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by dadio, May 19, 2006.

1. dadio

dadio New Member

Hi!

I'm new to linux! I want to install Fedora Core 5 using the HowTo for it.

It says "This is a "copy & paste" HowTo! The easiest way to follow this tutorial is to use a command line client/SSH client (like PuTTY for Windows) and simply copy and paste the commands..."

But how can I connect using PuTTY from a Windows environment to an SSH server if I'm installing Fedora on a fresh system? The Disk is formatted, there is no SSH server installed...

Do I use PuTTY only for configuration?? from what point in the setup??

Tks!

dadio.

2. tristanlee85

tristanlee85 New Member

Just go by the GUI setup proceedure. Insert CD1 or the DVD if you are using it. Once it boots up to the Fedora screen, type "linux" and it'll boot to the GUI install. There isn't anything command line in your situation that I can think of.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can use putty after you finished the initial install steps from CD / DVD and the network and SSH server are configured.

4. dadio

dadio New Member

Ok, tks! I will start the install and will update if i get an issue.

dadio.

5. dadio

dadio New Member

Ok, I finished the GUI instal steps, but now I'm trying to connect from a windows system to the machine using Putty, but it won't work. How do I configure SSH server??

Is the network configuration just the sections 2 and 3 of the Howto at the following link?? http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_5_p3

tks for the help!

dadio.

6. dadio

dadio New Member

Hi!

I was able to connect to my Fedora machine from windows system using Putty.

But, now when I connect, i log in and after about 30 seconds, I get the putty fatal error "software caused connection abort" and I lose my connection. This happens every time I connect.

I was able to find this page giving some info on Putty's website, but it was not that helpful.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/unclean-close-crash.html

I'm not using port forwarding nor am I hibernating my machine as suggested on this page.

Does anyone know how I can fix this or give a workaround??

dadio.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

8. dadio

dadio New Member

When I start a new session in Putty, a black screen appears and then I am prompted for my fedora username. I type root as my username and hit enter. Then I'm prompted for my root's password and I type it. Then my server's command line appears. I'm able to type one command or two, then everything freezes for about 10 seconds, then I get the error message.

I was able to complete up to step 3 on the page you mentioned, but I can't get passed step 4 because I get disconnected before I reach the end of it.

dadio.

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

After which command exactly does PuTTY freeze?

10. dadio

dadio New Member

It'sactually any command...there is no particular command. The only way I was able to complete the other steps is that I was able to copy paste the commands fast enough before it freezed and gave the error.

I'm fairly new to linux. I have installed succesfully and used red hat linux before. I was under the impression there was going to be a GUI, a desktop of some kind for this fedora setup...but it's only the command line right?

Also, in the Fedora setup, when it asked to enter the IP address manually with a host name and DNS servers, I just put an available IP address from my LAN (I have a Wireless D-Link router with the Fedora machine connected to it by an ethernet cable and I am using my windows laptop wirelessly with Putty on it. Also, my router is setup with Dynamic DHCP server, but I assigned a static IP address to my Fedora machine's MAC address and this is the adress I entered in the Fedora setup), I entered a bogus host name I invented and I put some address I don't know for one DNS server. I didn't really know what to put for these, so I kind of put whatever...

I can still connect with putty from my laptop and I can ping to the machine with no problem from my laptop as well. But i get disconnected with putty just as mentioned earlier.

Any type of help is greatly appreciated

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  11. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please run the commands one by one to find out which one causes PuTTY to freeze.

Yes, because we don't need a desktop on a server. It would be a security risk and cause loss of performance.

You can use the DNS servers mentioned in the tutorial.