fedora/mandriva-tools

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by srip, Dec 4, 2008.

1. srip

srip New Member

i am a linux newbie.
    1: is there a device manager in fedora/mandriva to see if all drivers are recognised after install?
    2:what should we do if linux freezes while doing system upadate or something like that.I did a reboot in ubuntu and system became unusable.
    3: is it possible to create a checkpoint or something like that while doing system updates etc so that we can rollback to previous state if there is a problem?
    4:if we update fedora9 perfect desktop to 10 using yum/preupdate will it work or will it become unstable?how steps to take while updating,like backup etc?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you want to go sure, you could make an image of your installation before the upgrade, e.g. with Ghost4Linux or CloneZilla Live. If the upgrade goes wrong, you can restore the previous state from the image. :)

3. srip

srip New Member

backup-madriva

i dont want to use complicated software like clonezilla etc to backup my desktop.i just want to backup home folder and firefox bookmarks.
    in mandriva which folders should i backup using backup tool.
    how to recover?is there a tool?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can create a tar.gz of your home folder. Say your home folder is /home/srip;
    Code:
    cd /home
    tar -pczf home_srip.tar.gz srip/
    Copy home_srip.tar.gz to somewhere else, e.g. a USB pen drive or external hard drive, or burn it onto a CD.

To restore your home folder, copy home_srip.tar.gz to /home and run
    Code:
    cd /home
    mv srip/ srip_bak
    tar xvfz home_srip.tar.gz