Few More questions for Perfect Server - Ubuntu 7.10

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by nibbles, Jan 30, 2008.

1. nibbles

nibbles New Member

I found myself to be asking a few questions again so I hope someone can expand with their answers or even provided me with a given scenario.

In my mind, I would like to use mail.mydomain.com for setting up my mail service and of course for hosting, I will have www.mydomain.com for web and also I'm also wanting to try to use an internal webportal that will not be used for the public. (something like home.nibblesnet.com could be an example)

Here's what I am doing based on the HowTo

mapping multiple names in /etc/hosts:
    Here's what I've done:

From PAGE 3:
    -> vi /etc/hosts:

I've added the following:
    192.168.0.100 fpt.mydomain.com ub1

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Question: If I want to make an internal based web based portal as well, would I need to map it in there. (something like maybe "home.nibblesnet.com" as example perhaps)? So would I need to add it in the hosts file?

On the same page from the Howto, I wanted to know about the following:
    echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
    /etc/init.d/hostname.sh start

I noted that you can only add one of them. I wanted to know what is better to use based on the 1st step:

mail.mydomain.com?
    or
    www.mydomain.com?
    bear in mind that I want to host a domain I've already registered and I would like to use mail.mydomain.com for the setup of my mail once ready for the steps in Page 5.

On Page 5:
    You will be asked two questions. Answer as follows:
    General type of mail configuration: <-- Internet Site
    System mail name: <-- server1.example.com

Considering the changes I made in the hosts file, should I be able to
    use mail.mydomain.com as my system mail name?

Also in Page 5 there's a mention of the following in regards to setting up mail:

Other destinations to accept mail for (blank for none): <-- server1.example.com, localhost.example.com, localhost.localdomain, localhost

Question: Is there anything else I would need to consider adding given what I'm doing?

On Page 5:
    Next we configure Postfix for TLS (make sure that you use the correct hostname for myhostname):
    postconf -e 'myhostname = server1.example.com'

I'm assuming that this can be mail.mydomain.com given the way I want to configure my setup. Can someone please confirm?

Please keep in mind that in the end, I will also be adding ISPconfig so I want to make sure that what changes I make will not interfere with a successful install of this as wel.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Nibbles

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  2. nibbles

nibbles New Member

over 50 views but nothing to share... wow

Kinda surprise no one has nothing to share on this so far after 50 views...
    Any input or suggestions most appreciated...

Cheers,
    Nibbles:)

3. topdog

topdog Active Member

Why not use DNS instead on the hosts file ? And i think it is the colors that are putting people off from reading your post.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you mean this web site should be accessible only from within your LAN?

That's up to you. :) But I'd use a domain name for the hostname that you don't use for email or for web sites; a domain that you only use to name your servers.

Yes.

Normally not, but if you get a "loops back to myself" error in your mail log when someone is sending a mail to you, you should add the domain that is listed together with the error to mydestination in /etc/postfix/main.cf.

That's right.

5. nibbles

nibbles New Member

That's correct, in that I would have the following scenario:

"www.mydomain.com" <- Public one

"home.nibblesnet.com" (or any kinda name for that matter) <- Private internal website - since I have lots of stuff I would like to link via an internal webportal for internal use.

Thanks for your response... most of the answers you've given do help. :)

Warm Regards,
    Nibbles

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You should add home.nibblesnet.com to the hosts file of all your client PCs so that they can resolve the hostname in your LAN.