Few questions about Fedora core 4 perfect setup +

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by mantasman, Jan 9, 2006.

1. mantasman

mantasman New Member

hi, i setuped my first server ever using fedora core 4 perfect setup.
    most things seems to be fine. apache/php w/ virtual servers works, bind works, mysql works too. and mysql based pure-ftpd works too.
    but i cant solve two things:

1. i installed quota as written. added lines into /etc/fstab. but if i run quotacheck -avugm i get:
    quotacheck: Can't find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted with quota option.
    what would be bad if i wont use quotas? as i see, ftp quotas already works. i cant upload more than allowed. and file limit works too.
    or how can i fix that?

2. how could i create email accounts, forwarders, catch-all inboxes? or maybe i should switch to mysql-based accounts? i think i'll host up to 800 pop3 mailboxes or forwarders under amd athlon 3200+ server with 2gb of ram.
    i'll create/edit them very rarely so i think i can manage them trough pure command line :)

and few questions related to that HOWTO:

1. which is safer: enable php safe_mod or use open_basedir and jail each user into it's virtualhost?

2. is there any easy ways to ask for authethification to view webalizer stats and allow each user see it's statistics only?

p.s. sorry for my poor english :/

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If this already works, quota is working. Maybe you added quota in /etc/fstab to other filesystems too?

Email account setup is all included in ISPConfig.

1) Add a client.
    2) Add a website.
    3) Go on the email tab of the website and add as many email users to the site that you need.

800 email users accounts is ok for your hardware.

Check the "php safemode" checkbox in ISPConfig and ISPConfig configures this for you. If you want additional security you can consider running PHP as CGI with suExec enabled.

This is also configured automatically by ISPConfig.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's in /etc/fstab?

If you don't use ISPConfig and want to create email accounts on the command line, have a look at this thread: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2

If you want to use virtual users, you can try to adjust this tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier to Fedora.

4. mantasman

mantasman New Member

thanks for fast replies.

i prefer not using ISPConfig because i want to learn how to administrate linux servers and i'm gentoo-guy so i think that you will never have unknow problems if you'll do everything "by hands" :)

i'd like to use that postfix+mysql_courier+blahblahblah tutorial but it's for debian and apt-get for fedora doesnt have such packets (i use 3 sources, provided in fc4 perfect setup howto) :/

anyway, i'll try to follow that tutorial tomorrow. or use this one:
    http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html