FileZilla not connecting to ftp

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Cris Kolkman, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Cris Kolkman

Cris Kolkman Member

Hello all,

FileZilla won't connect to my FTP server while Notepad++ plugin NppFTP connects just fine with the exact same settings (passive mode).
    Getting this error in FileZilla when connection: Error: The data connection could not be established: ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server

Server info:
    FTP server: pure-ftpd-mysql

It doesn't seem to be a problem with FileZilla because I have pure-ftpd running on another server which FileZilla connects to without any problems.

And like I said, Notepad++ is connecting fine to the same server FileZilla cannot connect to.

What could be the issue?

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Probably filezilla uses TLS and notepad++ does not, so firewalls/nats can inspect the traffic of the latter and open the right ports for you, while the content of the former is encrypted, so no ports are opened and your data connections fail. Don't turn off encryption to "fix" this though, just configure a passive port range to be open: http://www.faqforge.com/linux/contr...ange-in-pure-ftpd-on-denian-and-ubuntu-linux/

3. Cris Kolkman

Cris Kolkman Member

After changing that I couldn't login on both anymore.
    Changing it back made it accept connections from Notepad++ again.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016