Finding out which client was hacked

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by zyzzza, Dec 20, 2023.

1. zyzzza

zyzzza Member

Hi,
    i guess my server got hacked today - the load went to 60, and theres been some spam sent out. I can see there are mails send from / to random addresses not related to me or my clients. Is there a way of knowing which client/site was hacked and where exactly this sendout is happening?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. zyzzza

zyzzza Member

Yes - long list of those in queue :(
    How can i know which site initiated those ? Any way ?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Follow the link, it explains which headers are relevant. eachw website has it own web user and a unique user id, so you can look the userid up in /etc/passwd and then you have the username like web33 and 33 is the ID of the website.

5. zyzzza

zyzzza Member

ok, thanks , got nervous so only read first command :D Going t investigate now . Thanks !

6. zyzzza

zyzzza Member

Thanks got it sorted, web form was compromised . Is there any barrier to prevent sendding more then XX emails per day ? (per client or globaly per server ? ) Maybe theres possibiity of pingin admin if more than XX emails where sent ? I mean next time how can i catch similar problem faster ? (seems my server was used for 3 days ans sent tons of emails :(

7. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It would be best to disable sending mail through php with the mail() function and use SMTP accounts for all forms etc. And in rspamd you can configure ratelimiting.

zyzzza likes this.