Firewalls, Internet Gateways and Mail

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by DazzyB, Sep 24, 2007.

1. DazzyB

DazzyB New Member

Ok, so I've been working the whole day on my Ubuntu 6.06 Firewall/Internet Gateway.

Basically, all it has is two network interfaces, one which connects to my ADSL router and the other to my switch and the rest of the network.

It uses simple internet connection sharing, and I'm running Squid Proxy... the firewall redirects all port 80 traffic through the proxy.

So far, so good... Now the thing is, I'm running my mail server on my Windows 2003 box, so I've set up DNS to route all mail to that server... but its not working.

It should be noted that I have a dynamic IP on my adsl account so I use dnsExit so solve that problem... but I thought as the mail reached my gateway bind would take over and direct it to the windows mail server.

Can anyone help me out here? pweese? :p

2. DazzyB

DazzyB New Member

O....Kay! never mind that... I figured it out (god bless webmin), so it was as simple as doing a bit of NAT'ing on the firewall, now, another thing... how do I do this with a subdomain, because my ASP web portal also runs on the windows box, so how do I forward WWW.whateva.com to 192.168.0.2 or PORTAL.whateva.com to 192.168.0.2 ?

thanks in advance!

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Should work the same as with email, only that you use port 80 now instead of port 25.

4. DazzyB

DazzyB New Member

Oh, ye... hehe "I knew that" lol.
    Another thing, is it possible to run ASP scripts with apache? if so, any good tutorials for ubuntu?

thanks

5. valhalla

valhalla New Member

You can try with mod_asp.

I've managed to run an ASP.NET web application on apache with it...
    It is a little bit buggy, but it works...

There's also
    this
    and this
    but I didnt try them...