First time setting up a server, as well as using linux.

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by kris, Jun 22, 2008.

1. kris

kris New Member

Hi, names kris, I have decided to setup a home web server for my home based buisness. I realize paying for someone to host my web site could be easier and better performing, but, I would like to learn how to do this, always wanted to. Also the flexabilty of having my own server will be nice for when I make the frequent advertising changes that come with trying to adjust buisness tactics when needed.

I have already installed Xubuntu and selected the "Install Server" option. I basically just selected all the default setting when installing, and it seems as though I now have a working CLI system up and running. I guess I'm not really sure where to go from here though. I have 2 network cards in server(old pIII, w/512 RAM), I know about forwarding port 80 in my router and I would eventually like to use "Webmin" to administer my system from a remote pc....ahhh, that is once I learn how to, well, administer.

I have tryed to read some of the knowledge based articles on here and a couple other places. But every time I type anything in I just get "-bash: command not found" or somthing along those lines. Any help or direction would make me very grateful. Thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. ryazkhan

ryazkhan New Member

this will get you started https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/basic-commands/C/