FIX: Automated ISPConfig 3 Installation - stuck on [INFO] Updating packages

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by curiousadmin, Jul 1, 2021.

1. curiousadmin

curiousadmin Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello Community,
    Thank you for posting the amazing script Perfect Server Automated ISPConfig 3 Installation on Debian 10 and Ubuntu 20.04^
    I encountered a problem with the initial run of the script installation:
    I used:
    Code:
    wget -O - https://get.ispconfig.org | sh -s -- --use-ftp-ports=40110-40210 --unattended-upgrades --no-dns
    And it did:
    And it was stuck there forever.
    htop and nload showed no activity except something with updates:
    Code:
    6613 root       20   0 68132 59972 44616 S  0.0  2.9  0:04.13 apt-get dist-upgrade -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-overwrite -qq -y
    6610 root       20   0  2608   608   536 S  0.0  0.0  0:00.00 sh -c while fuser /var/lib/dpkg/lock >/dev/null 2>&1 || fuser /var/lib/apt/lists/lock >/dev/null 2>&1 ; do sleep 2; done; DEBIAN_FRONTEND
    So I figured it was waiting for input...
    Terminated it with CTRL+C and did:
    Code:
    # apt update && apt dist-upgrade
    It was stuck on:
    So I did:
    Code:
    CTRL+C
    # lsof /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend
    # kill -9 (the pid no)
    # rm rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend
    # rm /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
    # dpkg --configure -a
    And it turned out to be stuck on:
    So I did the default "N" and re-run the installer:
    Code:
    wget -O - https://get.ispconfig.org | sh -s -- --use-ftp-ports=40110-40210 --unattended-upgrades --no-dns
    Now it's all good.

I wonder if I changed the repositories in the very beginning to:
    And then run the apt update && apt dist-upgrade if this could have been avoided but I figure down the road there might be prompt for something else in the future, maybe if the installer had a tiny bit of interactivity it would be even better? Just a thought...

On a side note, it might be worth noting somewhere that the automatic script uses the German based repositories, while for most places (especially within mainland Europe) it's probably fine but for some it might be far from ideal (Americas, Asia, Oceania...).

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Works fine here, I use it regularly and the issue you had never happened. So it's most likely an issue in your system and not the autoinstaller. Adding more interactivity would make the next user complain why the installer is not automatic and I don't see how interactivity is useful here, so we will not change the way the installer works. Regarding repository locations, yes, we should alter that.

3. curiousadmin

I'm using Linode default repositories when you do their "default" install for Ubuntu 20.04 and it fails.
    I had to install another system and if in step prior to "3. Run the autoinstaller"
    I manually do replace the sources list to http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ (as listed above) and do the apt update && apt dist-upgrade then the automatic installer won't get stuck and it works just fine.

I guess for most users it's not a big deal as they can figure it out but might be good idea to make it optional step in "2. Configure the hostname and hosts"

4. till

Most likely the Linode repositories were overloaded or very very slow at that time, so not an issue related to the auto-installer, more an issue that Linode should either not use their own repositories in their images or put more resources on their repository systems so that they actually work. What the installer does is just executing some standard apt commands, if they fail, then you can't install Ubuntu software packages either with or without using the auto-installer.

5. curiousadmin

It's actually all about this:
    I guess regardless of what repositories you use it just waits for this. Might be good idea to add apt update && apt dist-upgrade before the step 3. Run the autoinstaller

ahrasis likes this.
  6. till

I'll check if we can enforce the update or at least add it to the install guide to run it first.