Folder / File permissions problem

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Peter Arany, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Peter Arany

Peter Arany New Member

i have ISPConfig Version: 3.1.13 installed on my servers, all of them modified, so I cannot upgrade them.

I have found a big problem:
    You can read other clients web folder's files if you know what you are looking for.
    For example if you know that there is an index.html you can read the file.
    All the client's web folders has 751 drwxr-x--x 9 web1506 client318 4.0K Jan 18 2017 web
    And all the files inside the web has 755 by default -rw-rw-rw- 1 web1506 client318 19K Jan 1 2011 index.php

Is there a way (workaround without upgrade) to modify the default file permissions on existing files and for future uploaded files?
    If yes what would you offer to use? 771?

best regards,
    Peter Arany

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i believe the web folder itself should be 711, the folders within the website, 755 should be ok.
    most files should be 644, some should be 600 (anything that contains access credentials)

you could try from /var/www
    Code:
    find ./clients/client*/web*/web/ -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
    that will change all files to 644.
    you could then try
    Code:
     find . -type f -name 'wp-config.php' -exec chmod 600 {} \; 
    to change, in this example every wordpress wp-config.php file.
    you'd have to change the filename to match whatever any other of your websites / CMS's use.

3. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

if you want to change the default file / folder permissions. i believe they are set in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/plugins-available/
    apache2_plugin.inc.php or nginx_plugin.inc.php.
    * these will get overwritten if ispconfig is updated. i'm not sure if putting a copy of these under conf-custom and making changes to them there will work.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig doesn't add an index.php to websites anymore, though it may still have in that old of a release. There are many security fixes in current releases, quite possibly including improvements to default permissions, but there's nothing that sets file permissions for uploaded files except the software used to upload them (ftp, ssh, maybe even php), and you would need to see to any corrections yourself (easy to script). I would even use mode 750 for all web folders unless you have some unusual config where that causes an issue.