Four basic questions about setup.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Naldinho, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Naldinho

Naldinho New Member

I bought and read the manual but given I did so in four hours and as many beers I more just skimmed it.

1) In the perfect server setup it instructs us to make SQL listen on all interfaces rather than just localhost. I'm using the panel just for personal use and not as a re-seller and none of the sites needs anything more than localhost -- do I still need to allow this?

2) Again because it is for personal use I didn't install quota -- will ISPConfig work fine without it installed?

3) With respect to PHP-FPM the instructions have use do mod_fastcgi -- maybe I misunderstood but in reading on this before picking ISPConfig I was under the impression that the new way was to use mod_proxy_fcgi. Am I misunderstanding something or is there an updated tutorial on how to set that up?

4) My other server I used Nginx as a reverse proxy for Apache. I googled to see is that was an option for ISPConfig and I did find a tutorial on HowtoForge of someone doing that -- does this potentially break anything? Is this worth doing?

I'm fairly new to this so thank you for the help

If it matters server is a Digital Ocean VPS with Ubuntu 16.04

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

1) it's up to you if you want to make it to listen to local only or not...
    2) it's not needed... you just can't set storage limits then
    3) no idea
    4) no idea

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

1) for security, definitely don't leave mysql open to the world if you don't need it. and as somewhat of my opinion, if anyone thinks they need it, they might really reconsider why, as they probably don't and would be better off not leaving it open. Multi-server installs need some network mysql access (but you can/should limit access with firewall rules), and you can just use ssh port forwards to mysql port if you require remote access for anyone else.

3) There are 2 fastcgi related modules needed, one used to talk to php-fpm, and the other to talk to fast-cgi daemon - refer to the Perfect Server guide for your OS for specifics.

4) no experience doing so