FQDN issue

Discussion in 'General' started by robertlouwen, Mar 12, 2010.

1. robertlouwen

robertlouwen New Member

Hello All,

As mentioned before, today I started with Fedora 12 and ISPConfig 3.0.2 I did a clean install ( So I can spend more time with it :) )

But now I'm finished I have this new warning message : Could not reliably determine the servers FQDN, using obelix.something.org for server name.

Before today I used Fedora 10 and ISPConfig 3.0.1.6 and never had this warning before.

What to do ?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This isssue is not related to the use of ispconfig. It means that apache is not able to resolve your hostname. Please check that you have configured the hostname correctly in the linux system and that there is a dns A-Record for the hostname in the authoritive dns server.

3. robertlouwen

robertlouwen New Member

Good evening Till,

If I understand you this is something my domainname registrar has to fix for me ?

I don't want to be annoying but in the past year I rebuild my server several times and I always use obelix.something.org and this is the first time I see this warning.

4. till

The warning is not critical as your system will work fine. Please post the output of:

hostname

and

hostname -f

also post the content of the /etc/hosts file.

5. robertlouwen

robertlouwen New Member

hostname --> obelix.louwen.org
    hostname -f --> obelix.louwen.org
    /etc/hosts -->
    # hostname obelix.louwen.org added to /etc/hosts by anaconda
    127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
    192.168.0.100 obelix.louwen.org obelix
    ::1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6 obelix.louwen.org

Thank you so far

6. till

Looks fine so far. The only thing I would change is the line:

192.168.0.100 obelix.louwen.org obelix

to

192.168.0.100 obelix.louwen.org

in the /etc/hosts file.

7. Fantu

Fantu New Member

8. robertlouwen

robertlouwen New Member

Hello Fantu,

The content of /etc/resolv.conf:
    nameserver 62.179.104.196
    nameserver 213.46.228.196

These are the nameservers of my domainname registrant, the equal ns3.nederlandweb.nl and ns4.nederlandweb.nl

I would like to have my own nameserver but don't know how to do this ( for me this is just for fun, I am not a professional network tech. )

Have a nice weekend