FreeBSD Port?

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by nveid, Nov 18, 2011.

1. nveid

nveid New Member

Alright first off.. I know a FreeBSD port doesn't exist, however.. Does anyone know what difficulties may be in the FreeBSD path with ISPConfig? Reason I'm asking is cause I'm thinking about adding some FreeBSD servers to my farm, however of course I'd prefer to make an ISPConfig port for this project to keep my servers consistent.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The basic functions from ISPCOnfig should work on every Unix like operating system. The main differences are in the installer (just create a new installer librarary like they exist for the different linux distributions already) and you might have to write a new firewall plugin and ssh jail implementation.

3. nveid

nveid New Member

Anyone interested in helping me test out the FreeBSD installation once I get done with the install script and any other changes that are needed to be done? Also, I added this as a feature request to the tracker #1923.. I hope to have this completed by next month, thats when I plan to deploy a FreeBSD ISPConfig server.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  4. nveid

nveid New Member

Haven't looked into the firewall yet, though actually its looking like jails will be much effective and better in the FreeBSD implementation.

5. nveid

nveid New Member

Just an update on this.. I haven't got to this one yet, I got encompassed in a few different projects and ended up making the server I was going to configure for freebsd to Cent... I still plan to work on this sometime, just a little later than I originally planned however.

6. Raziel

Raziel New Member

Hi nveid !
    I volunteer to your effort of porting ISPconfig to FreeBSD. I'm ready to test whatever you do anytime, maybe even helping you out with some scripting and documenting.
    So please give me something to test ! :)