Fresh installation

Discussion in 'General' started by Leszek, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Leszek

Leszek Member

I'm after installing a Linux system with ISPConfig according to one of the Perfect setup-howtos and entering ip-addresses and hostnames,ex. hostname.domain.com.Now what do I need to do to use my registered domain I entered durring the setup ? I just add a website with those parameters (ex.www.linux.eu) and I'm ready to run ?

ISPConfig is a good hosting control panel but it needs a manual as good as it is.Some beginners like me might still have some problems with managing their servers even after reading those great howtos from howtoforge.com.
    Thanks!

2. Jorem

Jorem Member

If you want to run your own DNS on it you have to add them in the DNS system. Do you want to do that?

Else it is just as you said. Enter a new web with a domain name and if the DNS servers are wright you can start testing your website.

On websites like dnsstuff.com you can test if the web or mail etc is working on your domain.

If somethinfg isn't working than you can ask it here and I will try to help solve the problem. For now there is nothing wrong I think so you can start testing :).

3. Leszek

Leszek Member

Thanks! Yes,a DNS server would be usefull because of a couple domains and subdomains that i'd manage faster than thru the one that my ISP provides. I guess i need a little more time for testing and learning ... (like everyone)

4. Jorem

Jorem Member

I have setup a DNS server also.

Just add to the domain in the DNS manager: dns1 and the first ip, and dns2 and second ip. Just like you also do with the www, ftp, pop, mail and localhost. (That's in the usersguide also I think.)

After that you have to test your DNS servers on dnsstuff.com for example.

just fill in your domain and your new dns servers dns1 & dns2.