freshclam Zombie processes appearing with ISPConfig

Discussion in 'General' started by zetnsh, Feb 15, 2008.

1. zetnsh

zetnsh New Member

Hi there,

Just installed nagios, and it's zombie check script has (about once a week) started reporting Zombie processes. When I check, they are the following:

Code:
    502       7062  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    Feb14   0:00 [freshclam] <defunct>
    502      13245  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    01:42   0:00 [freshclam] <defunct>
    502      23296  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    04:06   0:00 [freshclam] <defunct>
    502      27888  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Z    06:30   0:00 [freshclam] <defunct>
    I can't kill the processes, and HUPing freshclam doesn't help. The only thing that gets rid of them is to restart the ISPConfig server:

Code:
    /etc/init.d/ispconfig_server restart
    Anybody know why they are being left around, and how I can stop them?

For ref, I'm on ISPConfig v2.2.19

Thanks,

Neil

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I have seen these processes too but I have no idea what is causing them.

3. zetnsh

zetnsh New Member

Well, in my understanding, Zombies occur when a process terminates, but the parent process fails to reap it's dead children (don't you love unix terminology!). I don't think, in such small numbers, they would ever be a problem, of course. They do seem to dissappear eventually...

The question is though, why are they there? I would have thought that freshclamd is probably the culprit, so maybe this would be sorted by including a newer version of that in a later release of ISPConfig.

For now I think I'll just modify the relevant line in Nagios' NRPE config file!

Thanks,

Neil

4. zetnsh

zetnsh New Member