Frontpage with ISPConfig

Discussion in 'General' started by mphayesuk, Nov 7, 2005.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am assuming that frontpage extensions are not installed with ISPConfig??

Is it simply a case of installing the extension on the server from files downloaded and then everything integrates and works.

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes.

Yes and No. It will integrate automatically in ISPConfig but the installation of frontpage extensions and geting them to work properly is not easy. Also be aware the usage of FTP and Frontpage in the same website may cause proböems with file permissions.

3. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

I am using FC3 + ISPConfig.

When I install fp50.linux.tar.gz frontpage extension,the following error message appears:

Platform is linux.
    Uncompressing/Untarring file /root/fp50.linux.tar.gz into /usr/local...

Upgrading/Installing the extensions

Which version of Apache will you be using? (1.3 or 2.0) 2.0

Where is the current apache control file (apachectl) located: []/root/ispconfig/httpd/bin/apachectl
    Currently running Apache/usage: /root/ispconfig/httpd/bin/apachectl (start|stop| restart|fullstatus|status|graceful|configtest|help)
    Checking for previous versions of FrontPage Server Extensions to upgrade...
    You have no previous versions of FrontPage Server Extensions installed.
    There are no settings to migrate!

WARNING: The Apache you are running is newer than the one supported by this kit.
    You are running Apache usage: .
    This kit supports Apache .
    Do you wish to continue? (y/n) [N]? y
    Your Apache is missing one or more modules:mod_so;
    these modules are required.
    Please rebuild Apache with all requied modules

Does anyone know how to rebuild Apache with mod_so module? Or should I just skip the error message and run frontpage extension without fail?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You're trying to integrate Frontpage into the ISPConfig Apache. This is totally wrong! :eek: You have to integrate it into your main Apache!

5. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

I had tried to integrate it into my main Apache in /usr/sbin/apachectl,but the error message was the same as I posted above.

I don't know how to rebuilt my Apache with mo_so module.

6. falko

7. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

Yes,I did. But the fp50.linux.tar.z file downloaded from microsoft seems to support Red Hat Linux 6.0,7.0 only. I am using Red Hat FC3 and having the above problem as posted above during the installation of frontpage extension according to microsoft's script.

Is your installation note still valid for frontpage 2002 + Red Hat FC3 environment?

8. falko

It should be, maybe with little modifications, but I haven't tried to set up Frontpage for years now, because it's a mess, and if there's any possibility I recommend to not use it... You have an FTP server on your system, that's all you need. :)

9. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

I had once installed Frontpage 2002 first and then installed ISPConfig, at that time I was able to publish web from Frontpage to ISPConfig site. But, as you said, it was a mess, because all the webpages were located in root directory of the user instead of default /web. This happens when I use FTP server to upload webpages too. I have to change the directory to /web every time before uploading.

How can I chage the default directory of FTP to /web of each user?

10. falko

If you use Proftpd, you can put
    Code:
    DefaultRoot ~/web
    instead of
    Code:
    DefaultRoot ~
    into /etc/proftpd.conf and restart Proftpd.

11. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

I put DefaultRoot ~/web into both /etc/proftpd.conf and /etc/proftpd_ispconfig.conf, and restart proftpd. But the default ftp directory of each user is still the same as the following:
    ./
    ./web
    ./tmp

12. falko

Are you sure you replaced all occurrences of
    Code:
    DefaultRoot ~
    ?

13. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

I found another line in proftpd.conf:

DefaultRoot ~ !adm

Should I change it to:

DefaultRoot ~/web !adm

14. falko

Yes, do it. BTW, you need only one of these lines so you can delete the other ones.

15. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

If I delete "DefaultRoot ~/web !adm" from /etc/proftpd.conf and remain the last line "DefaultRoot ~/web" in /etc/proftpd.conf. Will /etc/proftpd_ispconfig.conf be changed to "DefaultRoot ~/web" automatically or should I chage it manually too?

16. falko

/etc/proftpd_ispconfig.conf should be included in /etc/proftpd.conf so you don't need it in /etc/proftpd_ispconfig.conf.

17. rosa hsiao

rosa hsiao New Member

I know /etc/proftpd_ispconfig.conf is included in /etc/proftpd.conf. But there is also a line "DefaultRoot ~" in proftpd_ispconfig.conf. Should I delete the line or just change it to "DefaultRoot ~/web"?

18. falko

Comment it out and restart Proftpd.