fsck failed

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by N3wtR0ckn13, Apr 29, 2006.

1. N3wtR0ckn13

N3wtR0ckn13 New Member

fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda4 dev/sda4

fsck failed
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i went through the ubuntu perfect setup tutorial and i think part of the problem might be in /etc/fstab or maybe my dns. server1.example.com isn't being resolved nor does it help that i dont' have or can get a connection with my static ip.

i've check /etc/networking/interfaces
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please do this:
    Code:
    apt-get install apt-file
    apt-file update
    apt-file search fsck.ext3
    What's the output of the last command?

3. N3wtR0ckn13

N3wtR0ckn13 New Member

#command not found.

i have no static ip connection right now either so it wouldn't update anyways, but would it give me that response back if the command was correct? i ask b/c i've not seen apt-file before.

4. falko

You need an internet connection because otherwise
    Code:
    apt-get install apt-file
    fails which means apt-file is not available on your system.

5. N3wtR0ckn13

N3wtR0ckn13 New Member

so do you think that the ext3 partition was not set. is that the reason for apt-get install apt-file. that's what i'm starting to think anyways. how can the os install without that though. i bet that's it now. thanks.

6. falko

No, you're misunderstanding me. It has nothing to do with any filesystems your system might use. Your internet connection doesn't seem to work, that's why the installation of the apt-file package failed.