ftp access denied

Discussion in 'General' started by asgare, Jan 1, 2024.

1. asgare

asgare Member

Hi
    Recently we got a DNS problem and after all, according to your help, we found port 53 was closed via ISP. Now we are facing another issue, none of the FTP accounts working! ISP told us port 22 is closed we changed the SSH port. Now only the "root" user can connect via FTP. Other users get an access denied error.

Now I wondering how can trace the issue step by step to figure out where the problem is.
    upload_2024-1-1_18-2-40.png

we have the same problem with SSH users too.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You seem to mix up FTP/FTPS and SFTP. SFTP is SSH and not FTP, and you seem to use SFTP, so you must create an SSH (Shell) user in ISPConfig and not an FTP user. FTP users are for FTP and FTPs only but not for SSH (SFTP).

ahrasis likes this.
  3. asgare

asgare Member

Hi till

I won't bro
    I have made an FTP account and tried to connect via SFTP with port 2222. That user giving me access denied error but when I connect through the "root" user, it connects without any problem.

I am aware that for connecting through an FTP account first I must create an FTP account for that website and then connect it via SFTP.

Now I don't know how to trace and find the issue.

4. till

In fact, you just confirmed with this answer that did mix it up. Have you read my post above SFTP is SSH and not FTP? A FTP user can never connect with SFTP, it can connect with FTP or FTPS (FTP over TLS) only. If you want to connect with SFTP instead than FTP, you must create a shell user in ISPConfig, as SFTP is provided by the SSH Daemon (sshd) and not by the FTP daemon (pure-ftp).

ahrasis likes this.
  5. asgare

asgare Member

you are right till, I mixed up

now I can connect but won't let me do anything. Just I have view permission.
    Permission denied.
    Error code: 3
    Error message from server: Permission denied

6. till

Are you using FTP or SFTP now? And yore you trying to access the correct directories, you are allowed to upload only into the directory named "web" and the directory named "private".

7. asgare

asgare Member

I made an SFTP account then I could connect to the "web" directory, where everything I put there previously via the "root" account.
    That website works correctly but I need to give some access to technical people and as they connect via the SFTP account just they can't make any changes.

8. till

Then the mistake is likely that you put things into the website as root, now all files and folders have wrong owners and can not be changed by a different user than root. To fix that, you must chown all files and folders inside the web directory to the correct user and group, which is the web[ID] user and client[ID] group of the website.