FTP accounts not creating and PHP starter wrapper for ISPconfig3 reverting

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Norman, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Norman

Norman Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

After OS , FTP and ispconfig3 update.
    FTP users seem to not be inserted correctly.
    Not sure why, ispconfig3 debug log shows these:

updating password:

16.04.2021-08:58 - DEBUG - Calling function 'update' from plugin 'ftpuser_base_plugin' raised by event 'ftp_user_update'.
    16.04.2021-08:58 - DEBUG - Processed datalog_id 7490

Creating FTP user:
    16.04.2021-09:01 - DEBUG - Calling function 'insert' from plugin 'ftpuser_base_plugin' raised by event 'ftp_user_insert'.
    16.04.2021-09:01 - DEBUG - Processed datalog_id 7493

However pure-ftpd log shows:
    Apr 13 09:09:01 yoi pure-ftpd: pam_unix(pure-ftpd:auth): check pass; user unknown
    Apr 13 09:09:01 yoi pure-ftpd: pam_unix(pure-ftpd:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=pure-ftpd ruser=sitenameuser rhost=

Deleting the newly added FTP user generated the following debug lines:

16.04.2021-09:01 - DEBUG - Calling function 'ftp_user_delete' from plugin 'apache2_plugin' raised by event 'ftp_user_delete'.
    16.04.2021-09:01 - DEBUG - Calling function 'delete' from plugin 'ftpuser_base_plugin' raised by event 'ftp_user_delete'.

OLD FTP users that have been added prior to update works correctly.
    New shell users adds correctly.

I've tried to check that php packages are installed. Not sure if any is missing.

Another issue I'm having is that ISPconfig3s .php-fcgi-starter is reverting to attempting to use a PHPRC to php 7.0 .
    I've edited server config -> web -> php to use 7.4 or 7.3 , but it keeps writing back 7.0 whenever ispconfig_update.sh is run. PHP 7.0 has been removed as it's deprecated.

Any ideas what could cause that?

Edited: Fixed log entries.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You seem to mix up FTP and shell users.

This means you've added a shell user and not an FTP user. Which explains why pure-ftpd can not use it to authenticate.
    As a side note, FTP users do not get added in any config file at all, they exist only in the mysql database.

ISPConfig uses and requires the PHP version that is shipped as default with the OS that you use and it will always configure that default version in the fcgi starter. The settings you altered are for websites only, they have no effect on the ISPConfig vhost.

Norman likes this.
  3. Norman

Hi,I pasted the wrong log line.

This is removing an FTP users and recreating it. Which doesnt seem to get populated.
    16.04.2021-09:01 - DEBUG - Found 2 changes, starting update process.
    16.04.2021-09:01 - DEBUG - Calling function 'ftp_user_delete' from plugin 'apache2_plugin' raised by event 'ftp_user_delete'.
    16.04.2021-09:01 - DEBUG - Calling function 'delete' from plugin 'ftpuser_base_plugin' raised by event 'ftp_user_delete'.
    16.04.2021-09:01 - DEBUG - Ftpuser: deleted.
    16.04.2021-09:01 - DEBUG - Processed datalog_id 7492
    16.04.2021-09:01 - DEBUG - Calling function 'insert' from plugin 'ftpuser_base_plugin' raised by event 'ftp_user_insert'.
    16.04.2021-09:01 - DEBUG - Processed datalog_id 7493

About the PHP Q.
    I looked at another post where you mention updating that setting, or chattr -i that file and adjusting it manually.
    Which setting determines the default PHP version?

Have used update-alternatives to set php7.4 as default PHP for cli.

php -v
    PHP 7.4.16 (cli) (built: Mar 5 2021 08:37:59) ( NTS )
    Copyright (c) The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v3.4.0, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.4.16, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

4. Norman

Also updating passwords for FTP generates this:

16.04.2021-08:58 - DEBUG - Calling function 'update' from plugin 'ftpuser_base_plugin' raised by event 'ftp_user_update'.
    16.04.2021-08:58 - DEBUG - Processed datalog_id 7490

But still not able to login with the user, it says the user doesnt exist in auth.log .

5. till

There is no setting, it's determined by the version of the OS at install time by the installer and updater. It contains a list of which OS has which PHP version.

Do you see the user in the ISPConfig UI? If yes, then it exists, as an FTP user is only one line in the ftp_user table in the database. If pure-ftpd can not find it, then you might have installed a pure-ftpd version without MySQL support or something similar.

6. Norman

I see the new FTP users in ISPconfig UI. pure-ftp mysql is able to login to FTP users created prior to upgrading Debian Jessie to Stretch works and can be logged into just fine still.
    ISPconfig 3 was also updated with update script to refresh settings. The pure-ftp mysql connection is also retained.
    It's just new FTP users that throw the user not found log lines in auth.log.
    This is a system you helped us migrate in the past (paid service) and update from another host.

I havent seen this particular issue with any other host where we use ISPconfig 3. (Debian Jessie -> Stretch and / or -> Buster).

7. till

Is this a standalone or multiserver setup?

8. Norman

It should be standalone. Im not sure if you used multiserver setup to migrate accounts/data.

9. till

Ok, but the UI is on the same server, so pure-ftpd connects to the same local database than the UI? Just ask to ensure that there is no data propagation issue between master and slave server. Please compare the ftp user in the ftp_user table by e.g. using phpmyadmin with another user that is working to see if there are any differences.

10. Norman

Looks like phpmyadmin is busted on this host (complains about mysqli) although phpX.X-mysql is installed . Which table/query do you want me to check/run?

11. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

See #9:
    In the dbispconfig database.