Ftp Permissions

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by AngelDrago, Jul 18, 2007.

1. AngelDrago

AngelDrago Member

Hi Everyone i usualy don't use an ftp client to access my site but i was having some problems installing an mod for forum and notices some thinks anyway my question to you is this i need to give my user account full permission so that i'm able to delete folders and files if i need to how can i accomplish this...

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Can you describe your problem in other words?

3. AngelDrago

AngelDrago Member

I thing i got it resolved i will keep you informed....

4. AngelDrago

AngelDrago Member

O.k I'm taking this back...:confused:

in my phpbb2 script i got a mod that has a built in ftp client and that needs to have this permission so it can install the script...

this is the errors i'm getting from it..
    Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Permission denied in /var/www/web1/web/forum/admin/em_includes/em_modio.php on line 184

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /var/www/web1/web/forum/admin/em_includes/em_modio.php on line 185

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: No such file or directory in /var/www/web1/web/forum/admin/em_includes/em_modio.php on line 184

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /var/www/web1/web/forum/admin/em_includes/em_modio.php on line 185

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: Permission denied in /var/www/web1/web/forum/admin/em_includes/em_modio.php on line 213

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /var/www/web1/web/forum/admin/em_includes/em_modio.php on line 214

Warning: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: No such file or directory in /var/www/web1/web/forum/admin/em_includes/em_modio.php on line 213

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in /var/www/web1/web/forum/admin/em_includes/em_modio.php on line 214

also i noticed that my web1_useraccount when i access my ftp server i can not upload files to it it give me an specifig directoriesand i would get an error message like this... even do the folder is set to originaly to 755 and i changed it to 766

[R] 200 PORT command successful
    [R] STOR test file.txt
    [R] 550 test file.txt: Permission denied
    [R] Transfer Failed!
    [R] Listening on PORT: 1834, Waiting for connection

any ideas maybe why this is happening...

5. falko

It's a permissions problem. Let's assume your web site is owned by web1_user, and you upload all files/directories with this user (over FTP). Then all files/directories are owned by web1_user.
    Now let's assume your Apache runs under the user www-data. Now whenever a PHP application wants to write some file or run a mkdir or chmod, etc., it does this as www-data, and of course it isn't allowed to do so because the owner is web1_user.
    You could now log in on the shell and make www-data the owner of all files/directories, but then you wouldn't be able to upload with web1_user.
    A solution would be to give all files/directories the permissions 777, or to use suPHP. http://www.howtoforge.com/suphp_debian_etch_ispconfig

6. AngelDrago

AngelDrago Member

after folowing this falko i'm getting know an 500 error - Internal Server Error! code any idea why...and from i can see it disabled my php extension and not html extensions...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  7. falko

After doing what? Changing permissions or owners, installinh suPHP, etc?

8. AngelDrago

AngelDrago Member

after installing suphp i was getting the 500 error message and i noticed only php scripts it will not allow every thing else it does like html...etc and i did this on a fresh install of debian followed the directions to the letter and still i was getting the 500 error message...

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please post the exact error message that you get in the error logfile of the website.

10. quannv

quannv New Member

Hi falko, the problem above is the drawback for customer when we setup applicaton? Do we have another solution to solve it than suPHP? How the other CPanel has resolved it?

11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

All controlpanels use suphp or a similar software to solve this.