FTP problems

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by BenWara, Apr 21, 2007.

1. BenWara

BenWara New Member

I am having some trouble with ftp. When I create a user (with admin box checked) then go to log in with it. Every time I do something then I get the error I don't have permission to do that. I can't even go into the web folder to replace my index. Does anyone know what the problem is?

2. Hawker

Hawker New Member

First be sure you only have one admin per website.

Second, if you copied the original files while logged in as another user, the files are owned by that user/group and can't be changed by anyone else.

3. BenWara

BenWara New Member

there is only one user for the site, and it is admin. and the problem is that when that user logs in and goes to the /web directory he can't modify anything in there. why couldn't even the root user change the owner of a folder?

4. Hawker

Hawker New Member

I may not understand what you're calling the root user. Admin of a web is not the root user.

Let's say you have the web directory

/var/www/web1

It's owner is web1_admin the group is web1

In that directory you have files, those files were copied from disk to that directory by root. Because they were copied there by root, the owner of those files is root and the group is root.

Nobody can change files owned by root except root. web1_admin desipite having access to them can't change them.

Log onto your server and see who the owners of the directories/files are. If it's anything except the web admin, you need to correct that.

5. BenWara

BenWara New Member

well i figured out the problem, and by root I ment ssh the server and change the owner of the directory.

6. Hawker

Hawker New Member

You might want to say what the problem was so anyone having a similar problem can find an answer when they search the board.

7. BenWara

BenWara New Member

yes, sorry I got called to go into work so I just wanted to throw that up so no one went to any trouble. The permissions of the /web folder where out of wack. It let me upload to the main dir fine, so i did a chmod on the /web folder via ssh and then it let me upload to it.