FTP slllloooooooowwwww on CentOS vmware

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by KenKnight, Aug 15, 2007.

1. KenKnight

KenKnight Member

Hi all,

This seems to be a pretty common issue, but I've been unable to figure out what is causing it.

I'm trying the perfect setup CentOS 5 and when I connect via FTP it is slow as xmas.

Any suggestions?

EDIT:

I decided to use CoreFTP to transfer via SSH/SFTP and I'm only seeing about 280KB throughput. In contrast on another machine I'm seeing about 3000KB.

The problem machine is a 1U dual core Xeon 2.6Ghz with 2gigs of RAM and SATA 3G 250gig setup as RAID 1. The fast machine is a simple little compaq mini-desktop with 1.5gigs of RAM and a 200gig IDE.

Thanks,
    Ken

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You know that SFTP is not the same then FTP? SFTP has a large encryption overhead, it is basically SSH to transfer files.

For fas FTP, better use a FTP daemon like vsftpd, pureftpd or proftpd.

3. KenKnight

KenKnight Member

Hi Till,

Thanks, yes I'm well aware of the overhead associated with the encryption, however, what I'm saying is that straight FTP much slower than the SSH/SFTP on the same box while the SSH/SFTP on another box is blows it away.

It's got to be a vmware issue. I will try and post in the vmware forums and see what the "hey" is going on. :)

Thanks,
    ken

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

5. thanis

thanis New Member

Did you install the VMWare Tools in the virtual machine ? The VM tools add a new ethernet driver to your kernel which has a huge performance increase.
    If you already did that, ignore this post and make sure to try Falko's tip :p

Also, are you running bridged or nat networking ? In case of NAT networking, there might be an issue with PASV ftp access throught the virtual ethernet nic !

Kind regards,
    Thanis