FTP user creation

Discussion in 'General' started by kuckus, Oct 10, 2006.

1. kuckus

kuckus New Member

Hey,

when creating a new non-admin web user and trying to replace his ~/web/ directory with a symlink pointing to another folder within the same web, my FTP client gets back with the following error message:

"550 web: Too many levels of symbolic links"

instead of letting me enter the directory, and I am looking for an explanation why that might be.

As a workaround, I replaced the top-level user directory with a symlink (...users/webx_y -> ...web/stuff/xyz). What's bothering me somewhat with this solution are the "Maildir" folder and the hidden config files ISPconfig keeps creating there - so I guess what I am asking is wether there is anything I could have done differently, more elegantly here.

Ideally, this user which should be able to access only a subfolder of my "web" folder shouldn't be set up as a mail and unix system user at all. Is a feature of this kind planned for one of the next versions of ISPC?
    I'm sure I'd make use of it quite a bit.

And as I said, if there really is something I'm missing here, I'd appreciate any hint you can give, of course. :)

Thanks!

kuckus

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Virtual FTP users are planned for ISPConfig 3.

3. kuckus

kuckus New Member

Thanks till.

Is there a roadmap of some kind online anywhere so I can have a peek at the "release plan" for v3? If there is any such thing... ;)

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

We dont have a relaese plan for v3 yet.

5. jnsc

jnsc rotaredoM Moderator

Is Virtual E-Mail user also planned? (Create an E-mail forward whitout creating a system user)

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, it is.