FTP user prefix as [DOMAINNAME].

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by fatbear, Mar 2, 2015.

1. fatbear

fatbear Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    In the Main Config, I'd like to set the FTP user prefix to:
    [DOMAINNAME].​
    so that, for example, when I add a new FTP-User and enter a username such as pat in the Username field, for the Website mysite.com, the resulting username would be:
    mysite.com.pat
    I don't actually know if [DOMAINNAME] is a substitution string, but I'm hoping something like that is.
    Would you please let me know if there is some substitution string such as [DOMAINNAME] that is used to insert the website name?
    Many thanks!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hi,

the placehlders are listed on page 256 of the manual (that you can download here from howtoforge as subscriber). There is no placehlder fr the domain name. The available placeholders are the client username and the numeric client id.

3. fatbear

fatbear Member HowtoForge Supporter

What would it take to update the code to have a placeholder for the domain name? It would definitely be useful for me. My use case is that I'm creating "lock boxes" (private ftp storage) for users. So, on a server, there would be FTP users such as:
    mydomain.com.pat
    mydomain.com.sally
    mydomain.com.jim​
    Also, right now I'm setting the home directory for these users as something like:
    /var/www/clients/client3/web9/ftp/pat
    /var/www/clients/client3/web9/ftp/sally
    /var/www/clients/client3/web9/ftp/jim​
    This turns out to be very useful for professions such as accountants, lawyers, etc. where the professional needs to have customers upload data to their server (e.g., via FileZilla) to a private FTP area. From the customer's point of view, an FTP username such as mydomain.com.pat is much more memorable than custusernamepat. My customers have been complaining that FTP usernames are hard for their clients to remember. Their customers know the domain name and they know their own name, so something like mydomain.com.pat is what they'd like. I'm hoping you can add a substitution string for the website name.

Thanks for the reply as always! By the way, I downloaded the manual as I'm a continuing subscriber! :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You would have to modify the ftp_user_edit.php file in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/web/sites/