Fubar strikes again. RAID failed big time

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Balemon, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Balemon

Balemon New Member

Hi all.
    I have had a RAID structure fail in a way I have never struck before.. Now I need to copy the file structure and databases from one server to another.. I can't image the system, that fails miserably..
    So the virtual machine is the master in a multi-server setup. If i create a new server, install ISPConfig, which folders would I copy across to emulate what we have with out the need of excessive rebuilding of sites etc etc... Or is there another way to go about this..
    The current VHD does boot, but I can't copy it, that fails, i can't image it that fails...
    I can mount it in another VM and copy all the ISPConfig data files Mostly the core parts of Linux are where I can't seem to copy.

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Is this server just the master of an ISPConfig system or does it host services locally as well like websites, mail or dns?

3. Balemon

Balemon New Member

If only...
    It hosts sights and emails (Just confirming whether there are any emails still being used for sure)
    DNS is on another server.
    So Master with Sites and emails. Can't be to easy, that wouldn't be IT... :)

4. till

The basic steps to migrate a system manually are:

1) Install ISPConfig on the new server, try to use the exact same setup as you used on the old system.
    2) Migrate the MySQL databases. You probably can't start MySQL anymore, so migration the whole /var/lib/mysql directory might work in that case. As usual, make a backup of the directories on the new system before you do this so you can redo a step is necessary :)
    3) Migrate the ISPConfig users and groups by copying the lines for the web* users from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow file to the new system. Copy only these users plus ssh users of the websites, not all users. Do the same with the client* groups from /etc/group and /etc/gshadow file.
    4) copy over /var/vmail folder, ensure to preserve permissions.
    5) copy over /var/vmail, ensure to preserve permissions.
    6) copy over /var/log/ispconfig/ with preserved permissions.
    7) Run Tools > Rsync in ISPConfig for the data of the local server to recreate missing config files.

You might want to consider to ask Florian from ISPConfig support for a quote that he does this for you: http://www.ispconfig.org/get-support/?type=ispconfig

5. Balemon

Balemon New Member

Thanks Till.

Strangely enough, the system still actually fucntions. I tried to image it and grab the whole thing, hoping it would work, but when I did, i failed (Looking into that as well) seems it's having issues around the core operations, but linux still managed to boot. So if you consider that as well as I can mount drives etc. I am counting blessings.

Is there an easier way based on the fact I can still get into ISPConfig, and move, and all the reporting still seems to work, as well as the DB.. or still attack as above.

Cheers

6. till

If the Linux system works so far, then you can e.g. try to stop all services except SSH and copy the whole operating system with e.g. rsync into another running virtual machine. This other virtual machine should have the same OS version installed, most likely a minimal install is sufficient. For the exact step in cloning a complete operating system with rsync you can probably find tutorials on the net.

The ISPConfig migration tool might work as well but it's probably not really an option in this special case as you would have to migrate the slaves as well. So doing either the manual way or cloning the whole os with rsync might be a better option. I'm working on a tool to move ISPConfig nodes 'as they are' so that it also works within a multiserver setup, but this needs a few more weeks to get finished, so that's not an option yet.

7. Balemon

Balemon New Member

Thanks Till.
    Going to have a bit more tinkering, and I might end up getting Florian to get involved... Might allow me to keep some hair...
    Some valuable lessons learned.. Despite backing up and snapshotting etc.. nothing like reality to find flaws in perfect systems....

Have a great one.

Cheers

8. Balemon

Balemon New Member

As a thought. What if I created a cluster so there were 2 masters, and then removed the old one.. Would that work???
    I have another one of the multi server system that is playing up similar, but this only has websites on it.. I imagine I would do the same as above to get it onto a different system if I can't image this one either??

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  9. till

I guess this won't work.