Full Mail Server Solution -- Dovecot Error

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by binjured, May 11, 2008.

1. binjured

binjured New Member

Okay, I give up. I can't figure this one out. I followed the guide here http://howtoforge.net/postfix_mysql_dovecot_dspam_clamav_postgrey_rbl_debian_etch and I'm at the point now that postfix is setup and tunneling mail to dspam which in turn checks it out and attempts to run /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver on it -- but here's the problem. Every time I send a mock-mail (using mutt) the follow shows up via stdout (no idea why it's not in any log, but it's not):
    Code:
    Usage: deliver [-c <config file>] [-d <destination user>] [-m <mailbox>]
                   [-f <envelope sender>]
    Fatal: Unknown argument: -d

Which refers to the command in this mail.log / mail.err message:
    Code:
    May 11 05:01:43 postman dspam[17535]: Delivery agent returned exit code 64: /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d [email protected] spam 

Somehow, " spam" is getting appended to the end of the line, which I don't see as possible since this is the dspam.conf configuration:
    Code:
    [...]
    TrustedDeliveryAgent "/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d %u"
    [...]
    UntrustedDeliveryAgent "/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d %u"
    [...]
    QuarantineAgent "/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d %u -m SPAM"

So I am totally stumped. I even setup dspam to Opt In, thinking that it would call the TrustedDeliveryAgent every time. If this is the case, where on earth could this "spam" line get tacked on? I have been trying to debug this for hours and I am at a complete loss.

EDIT: Here it is again, in /var/log/dspam/dspam.debug
    Code:
    [...]
    17535: [05/11/2008 05:01:43] using /var/spool/dspam/opt-in/bob.com/bob.dspam as path
    17535: [05/11/2008 05:01:43] using /var/spool/dspam/opt-out/bob.com/bob.nodspam as path
    17535: [05/11/2008 05:01:43] Opening pipe to LDA: /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d [email protected] spam 
    17535: [05/11/2008 05:01:43] DSPAM Instance Shutdown.  Exit Code: 0

What on earth is going on here?!

EDIT 2: If I change to TrustedDeliveryAgent "/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver", as expected, I get Fatal: Unknown argument: spam. Why this extra string is getting tacked onto the LDA call is far beyond me.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. binjured

binjured New Member

Falko,

Thanks for looking, but I saw that too. Since I am using dovecot and not sendmail it was a solution that didn't apply. I finally found out where that "spam" was coming from though and although numerous tutorials show this line thusly:
    Code:
    ServerParameters "--deliver=innocent, spam"
    it turns out that some combination of versions or OS or god knows what causes this to screw up the whole works. It needs to be:
    Code:
    ServerParameters "--deliver=innocent,spam"
    Notice the difference? Three hours of debugging to find the culprit... a single space. I was livid.