Further Features in ISPConfig 2.x?

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by flipkick, May 8, 2008.

1. flipkick

flipkick ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi,

is there a feature freeze for ISPConfig 2.x because of the development of version 3?

cheers,
    flip

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, there is no feature freeze.

I do not plan to stop the development of ISPConfig 2 with the release of ISPConfig 3.

But I would like to reorganize the SVN repository. The problem is that dev tree and stable tree had been diverged too much. I will have to pay more attention on that in future. My idea is to make a new branch for ISPConfig 2.4 based on the current stable tree so and I will port the features from the dev tree to this 2.4 tree. So we would be able to start with beta versions of the 2.4 stable versions soon and get more poeple involved in testing.

3. jnsc

jnsc rotaredoM Moderator

That will be a lot of work, but it's true that's it's necessary. Even if I have almost no time right now, I will try to help where I can.

4. flipkick

btw: what's with the ISPConfig-2.3_redesign-branch? is it discontinued, so that after 2.2 will come 2.4?

5. till

The 2.3 redesign branch has been started for a guy who wanted to clean up the old fasioned frame based interface, but he did not worked much on it. I will delete this branch completely.

There are currently 2 branches that are in use:

1) "trunk" contains ´the versions that are currently released as 2.3.x-dev versions.

2) "ISPConfig-2.2.stable" contains the code of the stable releases.

Yes, I know. I'am really sorry about that.

Here is my idea:

1) Rename the "trunk" branch to "ISPConfig-2.3.dev"
    2) Make a copy of the "ISPConfig-2.2.stable" branch to "trunk"

Then start the development of 2.2.4 in trunk.

To prevent this in problem in future, release more often, do all development in trunk and maybe have some kind of feature freeze and bugfixing periods.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

6. flipkick

you'd have to change it back later.. so shorter would be:

1) Announce a feature freeze for 2.2, so that the 2.2-branch would only stay for bugfixes.
    2) Find someone who merges the 2.2 branch in the trunk (2.3-dev). After that, all new development would go to the trunk again.

Another suggestion: Please create branches for every x.x version for further bugfixes and tags for each x.x.x version for a better structure and more overview.

btw: i could do the merge ;)

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  7. till

I fear that a merge of the 2.2. branch in trunk will not work. In trunk there have several files completely rewritten or changed so much that a automatic or semi automatic merging will fail.

I will create the branches and bugfixes for the future versions and will do a feature freeze for 2.2 branch.