Future New User...Few Questions...Plz

Discussion in 'General' started by nformosa, Sep 6, 2005.

1. nformosa

nformosa New Member

Hi All,

As already stated i'm evaluating ISPConfig application and i would like, if possible, to ask a few question just to straighten them up before i'll try to install!

So here they go:

1. I will be installing ISPConfig on a fresh installation of the latest version of Ubuntu. Do you think it is compatible and will run effeciently?

2. Does the ISPConfig installation require any previously installed packages or will the instalation install anything needed? (Apache, PHP, mysql, Clam-Av, Spamassassin etc)

3. Is Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam installed and setup automatically for the ISPCOnfig use?

4. Does the installation require any further configuration? (ex: virtual servers, file setup etc?)

For now this will be enough info!

Thanks very much for your time and patience
    Nick

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hi.

No, Ubuntu is not supported. It might run on ubuntu well, but the installer does not recognize ubuntu as an DEBIAN derivate. DEBIAN is supported by ISPConfig.

Why do you want to use Ubuntu instead of DEBIAN? DEBIAN is a mature Server side linux distribution where UBUNTU is mainly for desktops?

Apache, Postfix, BIND, mysql and PHP have to be installed before you can install ISPCOnfig. The installer checks the required dependencys. Have a look at one of the debian howtos in the documentation section, i guess an UBUNTU setup will be very similar to that.

Yes.

No. If all services are running and are configured to use system accounts for authorization, no further configuration is needed. I Recommend to have a look at the howtos.

3. nformosa

nformosa New Member

Thanks!

I'll give it a go with debian...should be very similar to ubuntu since ubuntu is one of its derivatives as you jsut explained!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

5. nformosa

nformosa New Member

Hi again,

thanks for the tip! :>

So i've install debian as suggested within the howto (which by the way was a great howto) now i would like to install ispconfig! Should i follow the docs within the ispconfig webpage or do you have any particular installation tips?!

Thanks
    Nick

6. till

Just follow the installation instructions on the ISPConfig page.

7. nformosa

nformosa New Member

Hi Till,

Thanks for your quick reply...

just one small thing (i know i'm going to drive oyu nuts but i really would like to set it up correctly)

What i installed from the debian was Spamassassin, but it did not mention clamAv or any other Anti Virus software.

Will this be installed by ISPConfig or should i install it myself!?

Thanks once again
    Nick

8. till

Spamassassin and ClamAV are part of the ISPConfig installer.