Future Proof Multi Server Setup

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by DylanPedro, Jan 10, 2018.

1. DylanPedro

DylanPedro Member

Hi,

I am just starting off with ISPCONFIG 3.1 and have just setup my first Standard server.

If later I want to setup a Multi-Server setup, will it be ok to keep this Standard installation as the master and add all the other servers or should this first server be setup in expert mode even though for now it will host all the services?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, that's fine to use a server in standard setup as master.

3. DylanPedro

DylanPedro Member

Will there be a way to add other servers to the standard server at a later date?

4. till

Yes, just install the slave servers in expert mode and choose to join the master server during install.

5. DylanPedro

DylanPedro Member

Ok, thank you for your prompt replies,

For now I would just like to setup a backup mail server. Do you have any tutorials that show how to use ISPCONFIG to just setup the minimums required for this serve to relay back to the main server if it is unavailable?

I’m guessing the backup mail server doesn’t need any more than just postfix and ISPCONFIG?

6. DylanPedro

DylanPedro Member

Any help for the above?

7. till

There is no tutorial for a backup MX ISPConfig server as one would normally use an ISPConfig mirror for high availability and not a backup MX. But normally you can use any backup MX setup with an ISPConfig server, e.g. something like this: https://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_backup_mx

8. DylanPedro

DylanPedro Member

Hi,

I've been looking into setting up a free backup mail server and found google offer an always free tier.

Only issue is according to the following article they block outbound connection on the following ports: 25, 465, and 587
    https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/tutorials/sending-mail/

They prefer you to use a third party to send the mail instead.

I wanted to know, if I can setup a custom port for postfix to use on the backup mail server that isnt blocked by google, and then on the other side have the main mail server also listen on this same port to receive the mail the backup server received?

9. till

You can configure postfix to listen on any port you want, just add a line in master.cf for it. I can't say if that will work with Google as I haven't used that service yet.

10. DylanPedro

DylanPedro Member

What about the port for backup mx so it uses the same port when replaying the messages back to the main server?

11. till

I haven't tried to setup a backup MX on servers that does not support to be a mail server yet and can't tell you if this might work at all. It might be possible to specify the port as part of the relayhost.

12. DylanPedro

DylanPedro Member

So I've setup amazon aws ses as suggest on:
    https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/postfix.html

and I keep receiving the following error. Is it something to do with the certificate being self signed?

Code:
    Feb  3 15:04:39 server1 postfix/error[5964]: 0DEB5600D7: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<root>, relay=none, delay=1046, delays=1046/0.15/0/0, dsn=4.7.4, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: TLS is required, but was not offered by host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1])

13. till

Seems as if you accidentally set tls to be required for localhost. To fix that, undo the changes you made in main.cf. Remove the lines that you added in main.cf and restart postfix. Then login to ispconfig, go to system > server config mail and put:

email-smtp.us-west-2.amazonaws.com:587

in the relay server field. Then set the username and password in the relay user and password field and press save.