General Question about hosting

Discussion in 'General' started by jcombs_31, Jan 11, 2009.

1. jcombs_31

jcombs_31 New Member

I've been using godaddy for a while now and have a few different domains and hosting accounts set up with them. I decided it is time for me to get a VPS so I read through some the the Perfect Server guides and testing things on a virtual machine with no problems. My question is more general that a specific ISPconfig problem.

If I set up the VPS with ISPconfig, do I need 2 servers for my name servers? I assumed I can set up my server and then just point the DNS records from godaddy to my VPS, but I really only want 1 server for now. Is that fine, do I need 2 only for redundancy or can I just point the DNS to this 1 server?

I'm just a little confused about the full process of getting things set up. I'm really just starting with a couple of my personal sites and a couple small clients.

Thanks for any help on this subject.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

For DNS you normally need two servers or at least two different IP addresses from two subnets on your server if you dont need the redundancy. Another option is that you use the dns server of your domain provider as secondary dns, so you run just the prinary dns on your own server. Many providers offer this, I'am not sure if thats available at godaddy, but thats the best option in my opinion.

3. jcombs_31

jcombs_31 New Member

Thanks for the response Till. Now this may sound pretty stupid, but I always see the convention of ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com.

So, let's say for example on my VPS my domain is somehost.com, do I then create 1 or 2 subdomains with the prefix ns1 and ns2? Those aren't the actual host name right?

Is there a reason it has to be a sub-domain rather than the domain itself?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can name it whatever you like - you don't need a subdomain. But a subdomain starting with "ns" makes it easier to remember that this is a name server.