Getmaill - all mails lost

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by raysv, Feb 23, 2017.

1. raysv

raysv New Member

Hi,
    I was trying to use the fetchmail function migrating over a mail account to a new server today.

configured the fetchmail option in ispconfig3 for that account (read all mails + delete)...

This ended up fetching and deleting all my mails... but .. erhm.. out of 15 000 emails,, 75 ended up in the Junk folder, and the rest disapared.

In the mail.log .. all the mails has been procesed, and seems like most of them are getting in a mail forward loop.. Any idea of why this is happening? Anyway.. alll 15 000 mails vanished :(

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you want to migrate a mail account, then better use tools like imapsync. The fetchmail function is made to fetch emails every few minutes from an external inbox to a local account, it is not a mass import tool.

That's bad indeed. Emails get deleted only when you choose the option to not keep them in the original account.

Maybe you have some kind of forward setup or a sieve rule that processed the emails in that way, check the mail log for the exact errors and fotwarding target and compare that with your setup and mail filters.

3. raysv

raysv New Member

Hi,
    Yes I tried to go with it not to delete the emails, but ISPconfig refuses you to use the no delete function as long as you have ticked off the "receive all emails". A bug or by design or is it me not understanding the options? Atleast, only way to be able to save the settings on the fetchmail/getmail was to tick off both receive all emails and delete.

I do not have any forwards setup for this mail account, its the only email account on the server so far with no extras. Only thing enabled is the normal spamfilter.
    Wonder where all those emails got bounced to also.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is intended, the fetchmail function exists to fetch emails regularly, if you would use this combination then emails would pile up as all emails would be fetched over and over again and stored as duplicates in the inbox. And as the input form states, before selecting to delete emails, you have to test the function first to see if you receive emails successfully with fetchmail.