getnameinfo failed Postfix Virt domains - falko

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by almeister9, Sep 19, 2008.

1. almeister9

almeister9 Member

Hi all.
    I have installed postfix using virtual domains on a fresh ubuntu install using falko great howto: Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS)
    All tests appear to reply with correct responses as per the howto. I can get into database using phpmyadmin. I have setup two user accounts this way, '[email protected]' and '[email protected]'.
    using mailx I have sent each a welcome email.
    I have registered the domain name and arranged DNS hosting. they say they can see the mail server. I have forwarded the required ports on my router.
    I have sent an email to [email protected] from two seperate external email accounts and neither of them have bounced.

I can browse to suirrelmail across my network using the ipaddress/squirrelmail/ but it will not let me sign in to either of the accounts that I setup.

Then I noticed that the result of
    netstat -tap
    on the second last line it says: getnameinfo failed

here is my postfix info

vi /etc/postfix/main.cf
    I noticed in another thread that falko advised someone to change

myorigin = /etc/mailname
    to
    myorigin = their fqdn

as I have done above but it has not changed anything
    and below:
    result of telnet localhost 25
    does anyone have anyideas where I should look. Im sure there are no typos as I copy and pasted everything in (being very careful about extra spaces as many have warned.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. almeister9

almeister9 Member

started again. got as far as page 2

I decided to start again from scratch. reformat. fresh install. pages 1 to 3 of The Perfect Server - Ubuntu Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server) then page 1 of Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier, MySQL And SquirrelMail (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS)
    I omitted installing postfix-tls because it cannot find a source for it and I have read in other threads that it is not needed as it is included in the latest postfix.
    I skipped section 3 Apply The Quota Patch To Postfix
    I completed section 4 Create The MySQL Database For Postfix/Courier
    I checked to see that I could log into phpmyadmin and I could.

On to page 2

section 5 Configure Postfix

/etc/mysql/my.cnf already had:
    bind-address = 127.0.0.1
    I restarted MySql anyway.
    /etc/init.d/mysql restart

then:
    netstat -tap | grep mysql
    and got:
    I dont understand what I could be doing wrong, this early in the piece.
    my hosts file looks like this:
    and my network interfaces file looks like this:

there isnt anything else. I havent even gotten as far as creating the six text files. I dont understand what I could have done wrong. can anybody please help me understand this?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's in /etc/resolv.conf? Does the internet connection work on the server?

4. ralic

ralic New Member

Take a look here getnameinfo failed

5. almeister9

almeister9 Member

More learningnessment

Thank you Falko and Ralic for your propmt replies.

I think I will take Ralic's advice and ignore it, now that I know what is going on, and since if I do it from the actual server terminal instead of ssh the error is not there.

just to be on the safe side, the contents of /etc/resolv.conf is one line

nameserver 10.1.1.1 (which is my DSL 504T adsl modem router).

I did do a search in this forum for 'getnameinfo failed' but there were no results.
    again I thank you both for your help and I will continue on with the build. This is the 5th time I have started again from scratch but each time I get better results and each time I am learning more.

Cheers

p.s. is there a way to mark posts as "resolved" in this forum.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  6. falko

Can you try
    Code:
    nameserver 145.253.2.75
    instead?

7. almeister9

almeister9 Member

Many thanks.

Thanx Falko.
    it works when I use the ip address you gave me. What is this IP address? I assume I now have to put in the IP address of the name server for my ISP. I can see it in the status area of my router.

Again thank you.

With your help and a few others, I have been able to build and get working, my own mail server, in a week, without ever having touched linux before. I can see that I have embarked on a journey that I am going to enjoy.

Thank you.

8. falko

It's a working nameserver from a German DSL provider. Instead of this one you can use your provider's nameservers.