Getting repeated 'postmulti: fatal: No matching instances' after deleting queue

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by suaswe, Oct 1, 2013.

1. suaswe

suaswe New Member

Hi all!

After deleting a queue in Postfix called 'postfix-smtp-relayout1' from postmulti (by running -p stop; -e disable; -e destroy) and recreating it as 'postfix-relayout1', I am seeing the below message once a minute in /var/log/maillog:

Oct 1 12:13:54 server postmulti[12345]: fatal: No matching instances

The output of postmulti contains only the queues I expect to see and looks as follows:

Code:
    -               -               y         /etc/postfix
    postfix-relayout1 mta             y         /etc/postfix-relayout1
    postfix-relayout2 mta             y         /etc/postfix-relayout2

Only these queues are referred to in the Postfix configuration, and the old one isn't configured anywhere in /etc or /var/spool:

Code:
    [root@server ~]# ll -d /var/spool/postfix*
    drwxr-xr-x. 16 postfix root 4096 May 12  2011 /var/spool/postfix
    drwxr-xr-x. 16 root    root 4096 Sep 27 11:49 /var/spool/postfix-relayout1
    drwxr-xr-x. 16 root    root 4096 Sep 27 12:04 /var/spool/postfix-relayout2

[root@server ~]# grep -R postfix-smtp-relayout /etc/*
    [root@server ~]# 

I ran a locate on the queue name and found a master.lock for the rogue instance in /var/lib/postfix-smtp-relayout1, which I removed; however, the error is still ongoing. I have restarted Postfix including by removing master locks to see if that stops the error, but to no avail.

The internet doesn't seem to contain much information on the error. It is usually triggered when running a postmulti command such as 'postmulti -i postfix-smtp-relayout1 -p stop' on a queue that doesn't exist, so it appears that Postfix is still queriyng the queue for some reason.

Any ideas most appreciated!