getting started

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by expaddy, Mar 21, 2013.

1. expaddy

expaddy New Member

ok please excuse the noob question.
    I have been playing around with linux for a few years on and off and really don't seem to get too far but recently I have a hankering for getting in to linux and learning it properly. So this site was suggested as a good starting point for projects to work through whilst learning and I must say I am impressed there is a lot of good well explained documentation here. However, I am a little confused as to where to start, I don't want to take on anything too grand and put myself off the whole thing. So is it possible that some kind soul could make a list of the first 20 projects and installations that some one wanting to learn linux properly should do. I currently run cent os as my linux machine, (virtual).

Once again sorry if this is too much of a noob question for this forum.

2. expaddy

expaddy New Member

Excuse me?

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What exactly are you trying to do with the system? Will it serve as a web server, mail server, virtualization platform, etc.?

4. expaddy

expaddy New Member

Well there actually is no server it's virtual what I am asking is where would be the best place to start with projects of any kind to really get to know the system.

So any projects, just ones that a beginner could tackle and learn from.

5. ImRaptor

ImRaptor New Member

Setup a webserver with heartbeat and GlusterFS. Easy to test and you'll learn HB and Gluster which are two things that can become very useful IMO.

6. expaddy

expaddy New Member

thx muchly

7. Illilatommofs

Illilatommofs New Member

it sort of happened to me. I had sent out hundreds of resumes with little success. But a head hunter got me an interview and a job offer. The Saturday before I was to report for work, I got a letter from the company that had already hired me saying that they had received my resume but did not have a position for me. I ignored that letter and went to work any way.

8. byau

byau New Member

Find a project and do it. Sounds easy right?

Here's the easiest way

1) buy old laptop or desktop - this way if you trash it , you can always start from scratch. Under $100 for something old.
    2) Install linux on it. Ubuntu is REALLY easy and almost does it all for you. I would say try CentOS because that's more like you'd see in a real business

For a project:
    3) learn to put a static ip on it
    4) put apache on it and get it to be a webserver
    5) write simple HTML to do "HELLO WORLD"
    6) figure out how to open browser and point to your webserver and display "HELLO WORLD"

Hello World is the beginning of all things

From there
    7) install php. Write PHP file to display "HELLO WORLD"

From there
    8) install mysql. Create a database with one table with one column with the string "hello world" and write php script to pull from DB and display contents of that column

After you've done all that, you have a pretty good grasp of all things Sysadmin related with overlaps into programming, DB, and networking

9. zcworld

zcworld New Member

one of the way i got my head around it all was by install the OS with an desktop
    and playing around with it .....

to get the hang of things

after that install web server /php /mysql and try to install script that way

than Once you are feeling good and ready for the harder stuff than look at some of the howto install ISPconfig
    or something like that ...