Git command line and ISPConfig file tree structure ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Keoz, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Keoz

Keoz Member

Hello,

It always has seemed odd to me to upload a webapp to my server using the git command line from a web root directory implemented with ISPConfig., e.g. :

Server:~# cd var/www/clients/client1/web1/web
    Server:/var/www/clients/client1/web1/web#
    Server:/var/www/clients/client1/web1/web# git clone https://github.com/tracim/tracim.git

*** Q ***
    Is this a normal and common practice for ISPConfig users ?

Regards

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your question is actually not ISPConfig related, using GIT to upload code is exactly the same on any non-ispconfig server.

So to answer your question, you can use any method to upload or download files into a folder on an ISPConfig system that you can use on a system without ISPConfig. And all Linux systems, with and without ISPConfig, use folders to store files and websites, so there is no difference here either. Also the name of a folder makes no difference for any of such tools.

Or as a short answer: it is common practice for any Linux administrator, no matter if they use a control panel or which panel they use, to use software tools like GIT to download applications on a server.

3. Keoz

Keoz Member

Thanks,
    It may seems a stupid question, but until now I only used FTP clients to install webapp under ISPConfig default root directory path. As using GIT for same purpose is new to me, I was a bit worry (something I might not know or that I might miss...) . Your reply erased all my worries.

Regards