GMail delivery failure: does 550-5.7.1 not meet IPv6 sending guidelines...

Discussion in 'General' started by schwim, Aug 6, 2019.

1. schwim

schwim Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi there guys,
    I'm trying to figure out why my mail sent via PHP script(sendmail) does not warrant delivery in GMail's eyes. I get the following error:
    Looking it up, I found this page regarding resolving the issue in Plesk so I hoped there might be a similar solution for ispconfig. Are there steps I can follow that will get sendmail greenlit for GMail?

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, the same solution (create PTR records so you have matching forward/reverse dns) is needed for ISPConfig systems as well.

3. schwim

I've figured out my ipv6 addr and did the loopback test, resulting in:
    etc/hosts provides this:
    OVH offers me this:
    [​IMG]
    With no option for ipv4/ipv6 rdns, just a single option to enter.

Do I need to add a line to /etc/hosts to include the ipv6 addr?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Does your server have IPv6 connectivity? Do you use your IPv6 address for something?
    You should add it if you use IPv6 address. But it is not relevant to your problem with matching reverse/forward DNS.
    On my OVH account, there is IP address management for the IP-addresses I have. There I can edit the reverse DNS setting.

5. schwim

Hi there Taleman and thanks for the help!
    I did find the IP panel last night but when I try to enter the same reverse DNS for IPV6 as is listed for my IPV4 entry, I get the following error. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I notice the odd wording for the ipv6 modifcation(modify delegation of the rdns) vs. the ipv4(modify the rdns). I figured since you're familiar with the OVH panel, you might be able to set me on the straight and narrow:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  6. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You already have reverse DNS server.schwimserver2.com for IPv4. Can you not edit the entry for your IPv6 address?
    I tried just now on my OVH account, and trying to add reverse DNS fails. It says Error updating reverse, but unfortunately does not say what error. I have several reverse entries I have added years ago, I can not see why this time it would not work.

7. schwim

Ok, so it's failing for you as well? I'll create a ticket to see why I can't set it. Thanks!