Gnome causing audio problem

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by bschultz, Mar 16, 2007.

1. bschultz

bschultz Member

I've recently installed gnome as my desktop environment so that I could use a VNC Server. I use the linux machine as a web/mail server running ISPConfig, but I also stream (on occasion) audio from this box for the radio station that I work for.

I have two questions, both (I think) related. The reason that I needed to install the VNC server was that I needed to access the machine (from 1000 miles away) to reset some audio settings after a reboot. First of all, how do I save the audio config settings so that after a reboot, the line-in is still selected as the main input? Currently, after a reboot, the audio settings all go back to a default setting.

Also, after installing gnome, I can't log in as root to the desktop environment. If I do any audio editing (using Audactiy) I get the error message of:

Since I can only login under gnome as any of the ISPConfig users (root not being one of them) I can't access the sound card. If I log into this machine on the VNC (as root), the audio card is accessible.

My two questions: How do I save the audio settings...and how do I access the sound card as a non-root user?

Thanks.

Brian

PS...I should add that I'm using Debian Sarge.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I'm not sure about the audio settings, but you can become root by typing
    Code:
    su
    in a terminal.

3. bschultz

bschultz Member

Falko,

Thanks for your response. If I su in the terminal, I'm only "root" in the terminal session...the Gnome session that creates my desktop (thus running Audacity) is still in the normal user, so I still can't access the sound card.

4. falko

Do you get any error message when you try to log in to GNOME as root?

5. bschultz

bschultz Member

In the login screen, it lists all of the ISPConfig users...but not root. If I type in the root login info, I get a "root logins are not allowed" message.

6. falko

7. bschultz

bschultz Member

I don't have a /etc/gdm directory.

8. bschultz

bschultz Member

OK...I re-installed gnome and gdm and then I was able to edit the cofig file. It still wouldn't let me login via root.

So, i got to thinking. Why am I trying to open myself up to problems? Why not just authorize a "normal" ISPConfig user to access the audio.

Here's the error message I got when adding the user (with this command ...adduser ISPConfig_user audio)

adduser: `/usr/bin/gpasswd -M other_user_name,ISPConfig_user audio' returned error code 1. Aborting.

Why is the OTHER username showing up in the error message? It's a user that I don't even use (I don't think, anyway!)

Brian

9. falko

What was the exact command you used? Is that other user listed in /etc/passwd?

There were lots of other hits when I searched for "gnome rot login" on Google. Maybe one of them helps you.

10. bschultz

bschultz Member

adduser ISPConfig_user audio

Yes, but I didn't type in that user

I've Googled too...and they all say to add the line to the config file, which I did. I then try to login with the root username and password and it brings me right back to the login prompt. Before I added that line in the config file, I got an error message that root logins weren't allowed...now I only get the login page again.

EDIT: I went in a manually edited the /etc/group file and added the user that I wanted (my ISPConfig user) to audio, and all works well.

Thanks, Falko!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007