Gnome Search Crashes

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by mphayesuk, Jan 13, 2006.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ok what I have is 64bit Suse 10 installed with gnome as the deesktop system. What happens is that every time I attempt to search using the gui it fails isntantly with an error (not sure what the error is at the moment). Does any one else have this probelm..... or shall I just re-install and use kde which in the past has caused me no problems.

Thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's the exact error message?

3. mphayesuk

Ok i goto search using Nautilus 2.12.0 and no matter what I type in to search the moment I click on search

The Application "nautilus" has quit unexpectedly.

You can inform the developers of what happened to help them fix it. Or you can restart the application right now.

I have updated the program and also re-installed from the original cd and yet still nothing. I know I should probably learn to use grep but I like everything to work as it should.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

4. falko

Have you googled for the error, and have you tried to ask the developers of Nautilus?

5. mphayesuk

Ok I think I have got something... thanks for your posts

6. falko

If it works, can you post the solution here? That would be great! :)

7. mphayesuk

Nope that did not work and still have same problem, the solution I thought I had said to delete some files from the home directory, but the files and directories are not there... must be beacuse I am on Suse 10 and the solution was not, and because I cant search for the files I dont know where they will be..... it was something to do with metanames / metafiles for nautilas.

Thanks

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Why don you use the locate command on the shell to find the files? Usage:

locate filename

9. mphayesuk

I did try it before but I did a search for a file that I know exists and it came back with nothing.... and I think I tried a wild card i.e. *.php and it also came back with nothing (FROM MEMORY) I will try it again later today to make sure.

Thanks

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

First, login as root or use su before you use the locate command. then dont use wildcards, simply use the part of the filename you where searching for, e.g .php instead of *.php

11. falko

Run
    Code:
    updatedb
    once before you run
    Code:
    locate <filename>
    !