godaddy dns and ispconfig - still confused...

Discussion in 'General' started by christopherdang, Jan 18, 2007.

1. christopherdang

christopherdang New Member

I can't seem to get ISPCONFIG setup as both virtual domain servers and dns server behind an adsl router modem.

This is what I've done so far (I'll try to make this as clear as possible).

PHYSICAL LAYOUT
    ===============
    +----------- ROUTER1 --- NS1(DMZ) <- also virtual domain hoster
    |
    INTERNET
    |
    +----------- ROUTER2 --- NS2(DMZ)

INSTALL AND SETUP
    =================
    - Follow all steps in howto guides "PERFECT UBUNTU 6.06" and "GODADDY AND DNS WITH ISPCONFIG"
    - Setup A RECORD for NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM to static ip on ROUTER1 (WANIP1)
    - Setup A RECORD for NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM to static ip on ROUTER2 (WANIP2)
    - Setup DMZ on ROUTER1 to lan IP of NS1 (LANIP1) ie all traffic to NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM IS SENT NS1
    - Setup DMZ on ROUTER2 TO LAN IP OF NS2 (LANIP2) ie all traffic to NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM IS SENT NS2
    - For NS1 use LANIP1 in MANAGER - SERVER - SETUP - IP ADDRESS
    - For NS2 use LANIP2 in MANAGER - SERVER - SETUP - IP ADDRESS
    - For NS1 add WANIP1 in MANAGER - SERVER - SETUP - EXTRA IPS
    - When registering new domains assign NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM and NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM as name servers
    - When creating virtual domains on NS1 (i.e. www.myotherdomain.com) make sure wanip is selected

TESTS
    =====
    - Using WWW.DNSSTUFF.COM the correct A RECORD is returned for NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM ie. WANIP1
    - Using WWW.DNSSTUFF.COM the correct A RECORD is returned for NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM ie. WANIP2
    - Using WWW.DNSSTUFF.COM the correct A RECORD is returned for WWW.MYOTHERDOMAIN.COM ie. WANIP1
    - It also shows that NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM and NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM are the authorative nameservers for WWW.MYOTHERDOMAIN.COM

PROBLEM
    =======
    When I try to access http://www.myotherdomain.com all I see is a few folders and a link to the virtual domain of www.myotherdomain.com ( /var/www instead of /var/www/www.myotherdomain.com/web )

QUESTION
    ========
    Are the steps I used correct?
    I'm still confused about where to use the LANIP1 or WANIP1 in the various areas of ISPConfig.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  2. christopherdang

update on issue

If from within ISPConfig I use LANIP1 for everything ie. domain ip address as well:

1. When using a local windows pc, when surfing http://www.myotherdomain.com I get the correct ISPConfig standard index page.

2. When using a remote windows pc, ie. not on the lan, when surfing http://www.myotherdomain.com I get a page not found.

3. When doing an A RECORD lookup on http://www.dnsstuff.com it comes back with the private LANIP1 which of course means that no pc outside of the LAN will be able to see the virtual domain.

Therefore the ip address for each domain in DNS Manager MUST BE the WANIP1.

But of course that brings me back to my old problem. Surfing to http://www.myotherdomain.com will take me to /var/www/index.html instead of /var/www/www.myotherdomain.com/web/index.html.

I know I'm missing somthing but I can't figure it out.

Please help!

3. christopherdang

Answer found on other thread - my apologies

I apologise but it seems this question has been asked before.

From reading the another post (unfortunately I've closed them and can't find the exact post which explained it clearly) the following is what needs to be done.

1. In ALL steps on setting up server and domains use LANIP1.
    2. Goto DNS Manager and change the DNS Records for individual virtual domains to WANIP1.

Before anyone flames me I'd like to point out I spent hours searching prior to posting a new thread. I kept getting search results with part answers... I just need to polish up on my forum search techniques...

I hope at the very least this thread will help others in the same boat.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Noone will flame you. This is a friendly place. :)

5. christopherdang

Thanks Falko. I notice you contribute a LOT to the forums.

Where do you find the time?

I must say that ISPConfig is a remarkable product.

It's so easy and straight forward. I've looked into cPanel and some others but ISPConfig is the best laid out in my opinion.

Also can you also tell me how I can change the thread title to "godaddy dns and ispconfig behind router - solved". I think this would make it easier for newbies such as myself who don't have much of a clue and shouldn't really be dabbling in this stuff :p

Having said that I've learnt a thing or two about linux, networking and, in particular, dns whilst troubleshooting this problem.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I don't sleep anymore. :D

I must say that ISPConfig is a remarkable product.

There's a link called "Thread Tools" where you can do it (I think).