Godaddy + ISPConfig - two servers needed?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by netphreak, Dec 30, 2006.

1. netphreak

netphreak New Member

I have been reading the Howto for setting up your own DNS servers with ISPConfig and Godaddy. Now, I don't really understand if I need to set up one additional webserver, with ISPConfig installed on both to make this work? Seems a little overkill to have two separate servers running?

Alternatively, I don't really *need* my own nameserver - can I use Godaddy for this? In practice - what would be the differences?

I have 5 static public IP's, one of them are now used for my Debian/ISPConfig box.

2. Hans

Hans Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you're using the name-servers of your DNS-provider, you do not need a second server as a nameserver for DNS.

3. netphreak

netphreak New Member

Then - should I add godaddy's nameservers for my domain

PARK33.SECURESERVER.NET
    PARK34.SECURESERVER.NET

as ns1 and ns2 in Management -> Server -> Settings? And leave "Default MX" at the same location unchecked?

4. netphreak

netphreak New Member

Just to answer my own question:

No, godaddy's nameservers should not be used in ISPConfig. I use my own static public IP in both ns1 and ns2. Not really sure what the checkbox for Default MX does, but it works fine for me leaving it unchecked.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The checkbox creates DNS records in ISPConfig, it is only needed if you use the DNS server of ISPConfig and shall not be enabled when you use a external DNS server.