GPU's suddenly dissappears - nvidia-smi/Boinc/BoincTasks

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by danhansen@denmark, Aug 26, 2014.

1. danhansen@denmark

danhansen@denmark Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

Installed: CUDA5.5
    Installed: Boinc Client

Installed a Ubuntu Server 12.04 and CUDA5.5 for number crunching/Boinc. Used the 12.04.3 update, since the 12.04.4 update doesn't work with CUDA!
    System runs perfect, using all 4 GPU's to crunch data. Suddenly, without installing anything or updating anything, the GPU's is lost to Boinc!

Please see this image:
    [​IMG]

Checking the hardware using this command, tells us:
    # lspci | grep -i nvidia
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 640 Rev. 2] (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0e0f (rev a1)
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 640 Rev. 2] (rev a1)
    02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0e0f (rev a1)
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 640 Rev. 2] (rev a1)
    03:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0e0f (rev a1)
    04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 640 Rev. 2] (rev a1)
    04:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0e0f (rev a1)

Using this command to check the GPU's attached, usually shows all 4 GPU's and temperature, but know nothing is found. The error message was something like this:
    # nvidia-smi -a |grep Gpu
    Code:
    NVIDIA: failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module.
    No signal to moniter either....
    There's no output to the monitor either, and the monitor works just fine. Putting a Installation CD in the DVD drive and booting makes the signal to the monitor work again!?!?!? I'm totally lost! Does a "coorupt driver" or what it might be, do this? So that you can't se anything on the monitor???

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. danhansen@denmark

danhansen@denmark Member HowtoForge Supporter

Dumped 12.04.3/CUDA5.5 and went along woth 14.04.1/CUDA6.5 !!!

Hi,

Never mind this post! I went along with Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 & CUDA v.6.5 and it works just fine. Had to change some minor things but it's running, and it seems to be running pretty d... good ;)

The command I usually use for my "WatchDog*" scripts when it comes to the GPU's, is
    # nvidia-smi -a | grep Gpu
    but this doesn't return any temperature anymore. Only N/A

I modified the command to:
    # nvidia-smi -a | grep GPU
    and I'm able to use this output for the scripts. It's not the same, but it can be used. Anybody who knows why this has changed???