Guest Book Software

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by latcarf, Sep 27, 2006.

1. latcarf

latcarf New Member

I am looking for some input...

my wife wants a guest book on her web site and I was wondering what most of you out there may be using.

I am running SuSe 10.1 and Apache2 using the Perfect Set Up HowTo so that should give you an idea what software I could or could not run.

tx!

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

3. latcarf

latcarf New Member

thanks for the link. The site was up when I checked it from my XP cp but it is down for maintenance when I finally got to the server cp to pull it up.

Are you using this program, or any guest book at all? There was a few programs in the link I left before in another thread (http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/tools.htm)
    but I am not proficient enough yet in Linux (or server set up!) to determine which is good in regards to use, security, etc.

I have observed I definitely would want one with a word filter and IP ban. Although with dhcp, routing, proxy, and a hundred other methods I probably don't know about IP ban seems pointless now a days.

4. sjau

I wrote my own guestbook :)

5. latcarf

latcarf New Member

Maybe you know if I am doing something wrong...

I installed Achims Guestbook from that link you gave. Did all the permissions, edited the 2 files commenting out the error reporting line, etc. When I go to the admin login page and enter the first use password of admin nothing happens.

6. sjau

I don't know how that works :)

In the FAQ on Achim's site there is something about error reporting. Turn that on and see what output you get :)