gzip compression in apache

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Tom John, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Tom John

Tom John Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. Tom John

Hi thanks for your answer
    i ask for both servers
    here i get the result of your code :
    Code:
    root@server6:~# apache2ctl -t -D DUMP_MODULES | grep -i deflate
    AH00548: NameVirtualHost has no effect and will be removed in the next release /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-ispconfig.vhost:7
     deflate_module (shared)
    root@server6:~# 

4. Taleman

So it is enabled already. Have you some reason to believe gzip compression is not enabled?

5. Tom John

6. Taleman

Perhaps the first website always claims compression is not available and sells you their plugin.

ahrasis likes this.
  7. Tom John

yes sure this can be a reason
    i have another question if i may ask.
    Do i need to enable gzip compression with wp-rocket or wp-super cache for example to get the speed i need, or is it enough regarding gzip compression to enable this on the server?

8. Taleman

I know nothing about wp-rocket and wp-super. You do not specify what kind of speed you need. Does it take more than 2 seconds to load the website? Have you removed extra plugins from wordpress?
    If you want to make Wordpress faster, enable the cache features WP and PHP have, and put enough RAM to the host. Other than that more work gives diminishing returns, that is I my view on the matter. WP is slow.
    Measure your website performance, some tools may give you tips on what to do to maybe make it faster. Find some tools for this using Internet Search Engines with
    Code:
    website performance measurement wordpress
    If you really must make the website faster, give up on worpress and create a static website. That makes it really fast.

9. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

wordpress doesn't have to be slow, you can easily get wordpress pages loading in less than 1 sec.
    the most important thing is only use well written, well maintained plugins. and use as few plugins as possible.
    and make sure plugin code is only called if it's actually needed on that page.
    most peoples problems with wordpress stem from using far too many plugins. and badly coded plugins.

as for compression, if it's already enabled for the server, then you can find out if it's already being applied.

open the dev-tools on your browser, switch to the network tab and reload the site. select the entry that matches your website name, it should be the first one, then select the header tab in the results pane. there should be an entry for content-encoding in the response headers section, it'll show gzip if its enabled, or br if brotli is enabled, in which case, enabling it in a caching plugin will have no additional effect.

Taleman likes this.