HA Loadbalancer HAProxy Question

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by tfunky, Nov 1, 2007.

1. tfunky

tfunky New Member

Hi All,

I have some questions regarding the haproxy on debain howto.

I seem to be having an issue getting the haproxy boxes to see the check.txt file :(

I put it in my htdocs directory and can access it from the a browser directly to the IP of one of the boxes, but using the VIP I get service unavailable and the hastatus page shows both cluster members down.

Does that give anyone an idea what I messed up?

Also, in looking around for documentation to troubleshoot this and I think that I read that SSL isn't supported by haproxy. Is that correct?

I'm trying to do a https/https HA load balancer for a webserver, but I'm not having much luck figuring out the best way to do it.

Any advice on getting this fixed up?

Thanks!

Tfunk

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Any errors in Apache's error log?
    I haven't tried SSL, but I think I read somewhere that it is supported. Take a look at the documentation that comes with the HAProxy .tar.gz file that you can download from the HAProxy web site.

3. tfunky

tfunky New Member

I'll hang my head an shame now....

I was looking in the vhosts access and error logs and not seeing anything at all...

I just checked the /var/logs/apache2/error.log and I'm seeing that mod_security is killing it.

mod_security: Access denied with code 406. Pattern match "^$" at HEADER [uri "/check.txt"]

What's probably worse is I didn't know I was running mod-security, and I have NO idea how to tell it that /check.txt is okay :(

It's embarrassing being a noob :(

btw...I see that you've done a new loadbalancer howto...does that mean you weren't happy with the haproxy version so you moved to pound?

Thanks for your help!

Tfunk

4. falko

No, I'm happy with HAProxy. :) I just wanted to show how to do the same thing with Pound.

5. tfunky

tfunky New Member

Any ideas how to make mod_security stop blocking that check.txt file?

6. falko

What's your mod_security ruleset?
    Any errors/messages related to this in Apache's error log?

7. tfunky

tfunky New Member

I have no idea how to tell what my rules set is :(

I tried digging through the mod_security howto you wrote and the places it says to look (ie apache2.conf and the virtual host config) and I'm not seeing anything at all. :((

I'm lost :(

8. falko

What distribution are you using?

9. tfunky

tfunky New Member

Debian Etch

10. falko

Did you check the /etc/apache2/conf.d directory?