Handling of mail addresses / mail users

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by TomC, Mar 14, 2008.

1. TomC

TomC New Member

Hi there,

first of all let me point out that I am absolutely thrilled with ISPConfig. It's a great piece of software and holds exaclty the right balance between being simple, straight forward and having (almost) all the features that I need.

However, there is one thing that I somehow feel unhappy about, and that's the way ISPConfig handles mail users. I have quite a number of users on my system that only need an email account - no web directory etc. Most of them would even be happy with a pure mail forwarder.

So did you think about a redesign of the approach ISPConfig handles users? Having worked with Confixx for a long time, I greatly appreciated that I could configure mail addresses for a particular domain without generating a unix login at all and without "infecting" all the co-domains with this mail name.

These mail addresses would be forwarded to either a local mail account (i.e. a mailuser) or to a foreign address. All that was changed on the underlying unix system was one single entry in the virtual user table of postfix.

I know that ISPConfig got the email aliases feature, but they are always configured for all the domains/co-domains of the respective user. Hence, my virtual user table is full of entries that noone really needs.

So, what I'd like to see in ISPConfig is:
    1. Possibility to add a pure forwarding address like [email protected] that is not attached to a particular user and that results in only one single line in the virtusertable.
    2. Possibility to set up a mail address _only_ for one domain/co-domain without adding it to all the other co-domains. E.g. [email protected] - without adding [email protected] etc.
    3. Possibility to decide whether a mail user also wants to have a web presence. Make a checkbox in the ISP User dialog labelled "web account". If that's checked the user can also access his account via ftp and will have a website at domain.tld/~user. If its not checked the user can only connect via pop3/imap.

Well, maybe you have thought about something like that already and maybe there are good reasons for not doing it this way. But I'd certainly appreciate features like that.

Thanks for reading! ;-)

Regards,
    Tom

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Coming in ISPConfig v3. :)

3. TomC

TomC New Member

Hi Falko,

wouldn't that be an interesting feature for the v2, as well? As far as I understood, there is no direct migration path from v2 to v3. So I'd rather stick with the v2...

BTW: Is there some kind of release plan for future versions, together with a time line?

Regards,
    Tom

4. milegrin

milegrin New Member

Feature request / suggestion

Greetings

If v3 is going to be that dramatically different, how about using the email address as the username?

I currently have a solution where all email users live in a MySQL database running Exim4 & Courier IMAP. The username for each of my users is also their email address making life and administration extremely easy. Basically 3 fields, the localpart (before '@'), the domain and the password. The email address and username is generated by concatinating the localpart & domain.

I am looking for a web front end to replace my current setup a but the requirement is to retain the email address as username facility is key. ISPConfig is a near perfect match for what I am looking for with 2 exceptions, the ability to add email only domains and the retention of email address as username for logins.

Basically :
    - link slave domains (ie localpart@A automagically goes to localpart@b)
    - Send all mail from one domains to a single address in the same or another domain
    (I think ISPC already does it but did not see it in the demo (demo needs some chlorine :) ))
    - email address is also username (enforces uniqueness and easier to manage)
    - email only domains or the ability to disable large options for specific domains

An NB : Add an "Are you sure?" button when deleting !!!

Would you be willing to incorporate this into the next release as an optional extra? :)

Regards
    Michael

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Not yet...