Hard Links on SMB Share

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by PecanPrince, Jan 11, 2008.

1. PecanPrince

PecanPrince New Member

I just setup BackupPC on Ubuntu and I want to store the backups on a NAS device running Windows embedded OS.

From what I've read there is an issue of SMBClient not supporting Unix Hard Links that BackupPC uses in there backup storage configuration.

Can any one point me to a possible solution or has anyone gotten around this issue of Hard Links on SMB shares.

Thanks Bob

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Hardlinks is a concept that ntfs driver are completely lacking. Without it, you can't use hardlinks. So incremental, snapshot-style backups are impossible. Only solution that comes to my mind is altering the ntfs drive to ext3 or one that supports hardlinks.

3. maysara.abdulhaq

maysara.abdulhaq New Member

NTFS lacking hardlink cpability is not true (anymore at least) NTFS does support hardlink - not sure about the various drivers though - with the same limitation of long established hardlink concept of unix systems, as it; by definition, can only point to files within the same volume. how this is related to SMB/CIFS and how it is related to the filing system beneath them (if it makes any difference) is a question i'm looking for an answer to as well ...