Have default connexion credentials changed ?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Keoz, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Keoz

Keoz Member

Hi,

It seems that default credentials to connect fresh ISPConfig 3.2.2 panel are not the followings anymore :
    • login : admin
    • password : admin
    Can someone please tell me what previous default credentials have been changed to ?

Regards

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are no default credentials anymore. They are generated when installing.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The installer showed you the password.

4. Keoz

Keoz Member

Thanks Till.
    But I closed my terminal, so that I can't roll back to see what the installer showed as being my default credentials.
    I guess I have to reinstall whole OS and panel, and taking care not to miss collecting my credentials this time.... !

5. till

6. Keoz

Keoz Member

I did it anyway !
    And I observed that the installer still shows admin/admin as being default connexion credentials.
    But these are not recognized anymore : I am returned this ERROR MESSAGE when trying to connect:

“Username or Password wrong“

Further more, although I alternatively attempted to set desired credentials from following this link, it resulted in the login page showing again the same ERROR MESSAGE (as above).
    Please view hereafter how I started and terminated the process to make such this change (MY-SERVER-NAME and MY-PASSWORD are replacing what they are really set to) :

Last login: Tue Feb 9 20:33:49 2021 from 78.197.67.224
    ubuntu@MY-SERVER-NAME:~$ sudo su -
    root@MY-SERVER-NAME:~# mysql -u root -p
    Enter password: XXXXXXXX

Welcome to the MariaDB monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MariaDB connection id is 92
    Server version: 10.1.47-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 Ubuntu 18.04
    Copyright (c) 2000, 2018, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.
    Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

MariaDB [(none)]> use dbispconfig;
    Reading table information for completion of table and column names
    You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Database changed
    MariaDB [dbispconfig]> UPDATE sys_user SET passwort = md5(‘MY-PASSWORD’) WHERE username = 'admin';
    '>
    Ctrl Z to quit
    [1]+ Stopped mysql -u root -p
    root@MY-SERVER-NAME:~# exit

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

7. Th0m

How are you installing your system?

8. till

The ISPConfig installer is not displaying this, which means you probably are using a third-party software to install ISPConfig that is not compatible with ISPConfig 3.2.

As a test, I used the exact instructions from the password reset FAQ on an ISPConfig 3.2.2 system, and the password was set to 'admin' successfully, so there is nothing wrong with the instructions here. Did you notice that the quotes around your password are wrong? `password´ is not the same as 'password'

9. Keoz

Keoz Member

*** MY ENVIRONMENT ***
    Machine : Remote VPS
    OS distro : Unbuntu 18.04 LTS
    Server : Apache 2.4

None third-party software (see my environment above), and ISPConfig 3.2.2 installed from following this Howtoforge tutorial :https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-ispconfig-automated-install-script/
    And to be precise, the same installer (link above) sometimes outputs admin/admin credentials, and sometimes not, as well as some other outputs are sometimes skipped (not showed). I am experiencing this since a long time..., whithout knowing why the installer behave so. But no connection problem with admin/admin until recently.

Is this one 'password' correct ?

Regards

10. till

That's not an installer from ISPconfig, it's from the company servisys and it works only for ISPConfig 3.1 and not with the current version 3.2.

As mentioned above, this is not an installer from ISPconfig, the output that you get is not the output that the ispconfig install.php script is returning and it is not compatible with ISPConfig 3.2. If you have issues with that software, please contact it's author or file a bug report on his github page.

Yes

11. till

I've added a warning notice to that third-party guide now to ensure everyone is aware that this is really for ISPConfig 3.1 only and not working anymore.

12. Th0m

13. Keoz

Keoz Member

Thank U
    Just two last things :

About changing Mysql default root password :
    UPDATE sys_user SET passwort = md5('admin') WHERE username = 'admin';
    • Can I customize both the password and username (no contraindication) ?
    • Is there a better command line than “quit;“ (that does not work) to exit Mysql back to shell in terminal ?
    About ISPConfig and Ubuntu OS upgrade from 18.04 to 20.4
    To your knowledge, is there any contraindication to instal ISPConfig 3.2 on a server running OS distro Ubuntu 20.04 ?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  14. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

This changes the password for the ispconfig-admin, not for the mysql root account.
    Basicly you can change the root-password for mysql but you have to adjust some other configs. I don't see any reason why you want to change the root-user-password for mysql.
    you can not change the username in this query until you changed the admin-username in ispconfig

15. till

As Florian said, this is about the ISPConfig admin login, which you asked for in this thread, and not about MySQL root user. And you can't change the user in the sql query. The password can be changed of course, but it's easioer to not change it and change it in ISPConfig after first login instead.

As you can see on ispconfig.org that there are official installation instructions for Ubuntu 20.04 and also Ubuntu 20.04 is listed as a supported OS.

16. Keoz

Keoz Member

Thank U
    You have both helped me to better comprehend web help pages that were not clear enough to me.

Regards