Having a FTP issue via FTP connection address.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Troy, May 4, 2019.

1. Troy

Troy New Member

I setup ISPConfig with Ubuntu 18.04.

Example my vps server address is: 1.2.3.4.5 and ISPConfig states my server FTP connect address is serv.mydomain.com to connect with:

I have two domains and two FTP accounts. One FTP account for each domain.

When I connect to a FTP account I have to connect using the VPS IP 1.2.3.4.5 because the serv.mydomain.com will not work. Get a timed out, refused connect and did not respond etc error. I even tried to use the domain names to connect via FTP no lucky errors out.

How can I fix this so I can connect to FTP using serv.mydomain.com address and the account credentials for the domain I need to connect to using FTP?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

So the connecting with IP-address does work for both FTP-accounts?
    If yes, this would indicate the ISPConfig setup works OK.
    To be able to connect with serv.mydomain.com address, you have to add that address to name service.
    If name service is not working or not working yet, you can test serv.mydomain.com using this method:
    https://www.faqforge.com/linux/cont...ess-a-namebased-website-without-a-dns-record/
    To test if your name service is working, use methods from this Tutorial:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/setting-up-your-own-name-service-with-ispconfig/#nbsptesting

3. Troy

Troy New Member

I will try this when I'm home on my phone :) I'm still learning how to get my VPS running.
    I use cloudflare do I need to add a new A record to get the serv.domain.com to work also?

After solving this I need to figure out why email accounts I create then use with roundcube will not send and receive emails. Also learn how to add the softaculous addon installer to ISPConfig install wordpress easy with.
    Then my setup should be golden. Been a challenge since i'm dyslexic.

If you have any links or tutorial for these task I greatly appreciate the help.

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes. Do you have name service set up for your domain at all now?
    If your domain has no name service set up, e-mails are not going to work.
    I have not used softaculous. I just create website in ISPConfig, download the Wordpress installer and install it following Wordpress install instructions.

5. Troy

Troy New Member

Thank you, got the FTP figured out and the email issues fixed.

Sorry been offline. Had a wisdom tooth pull forgot I had one still being 52 lol