Having issues troubleshooting mail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by schwim, Apr 23, 2019.

1. schwim

schwim Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi there everyone!

I've got a domain routed to the server via AName. I've set up the mail domain and I've tried both a forwarder and an email account. No mail reaches the destination, no errors are returned to the sender(a GMail account) and I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You need a DNS MX record for email, not an A-Record.

3. schwim

Would this be a proper way to set it up?
    scotchandiron.org is my mail domain and server.schwimserver2.com is the FQDN of the server that ISPC is installed on.

[​IMG]

4. till

Yes, that's an MX record. Leave the domain field empty. What you added is a MX record for email addresses like [email protected] byut you probably want to have [email protected], so the domain field must be empty.

5. schwim

I've set up the MX record and I'm still failing to get an email so I've still got something not working correctly.
    Domain: scotchandiron.org
    account: [email protected]
    FQDN: server.schwimserver2.com
    [​IMG]

I set up the mail account with a forward to another email address and I received the welcome to your new mail account both in the email account's roundcube on the site and to the forwarded email address.

I can not, however, connect to this to retrieve mail and when I try to mail to the account to test, that mail does not show up in Roundcube or the forwarded email.

What would be my next step to try to resolve this issue?

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe a firewall or Nat issue? Make sure all mail ports are allowed and forwarded to the right address (if applicable).

7. schwim

I actually didn't install the firewall when setting this server up. All the ports I've tested show as open.

8. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Now the MX record is published:
    Code:
    $ host scotchandiron.org
    scotchandiron.org has address 66.70.180.182
    scotchandiron.org mail is handled by 1 server.schwimserver2.com.

So sending mail to [email protected] should arrive at server.schwimserver2.org. Check the mail.log on that host after sending something.
    If you want to further test your mail and DNS setup, use for example https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx:scotchandiron.org&run=toolpage
    And this is useful: https://www.mail-tester.com/

9. schwim

Hello and thanks for your help!
    This morning during my mail test from Google, I got this helpful error:
    When trying to send mail out from roundcube to the test bot you suggested, it just results in a stalled page load. The mail never sends.

But I'm not sure what I need to do to resolve "Unable to read banner". What should be my next step to getting this working?

I did read the support link posted by Google, it tells me to contact my mail provider:

10. schwim

I found this topic concerning adding records for the domain in ISPConfig but I can't get past step one. Where it tells me to click on the desired domain after selecting the DNS tab. I don't have any domains listed under DNS. I think it's because I'm using 101domain to handle my records and have the A and MX record listed there.

I don't think I'm any closer to getting the mail working for this domain.

11. till

In this case, you have to create an SPF record at 101domain and not in ISPConfig.

12. schwim

Thanks Till. I'm trying to find out what an SPF and DMARC record should contain. I found a blog post on creating an SPF record. If I enter this, as my text record will it allow my server(that's the domain listed) to send mail from apache, me connecting to the server to send as scotchandiron.org via a mail app and the included roundcube?

I have not figured out how to place in the dmarc record, however.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  13. Taleman

14. schwim

Hi there Taleman and thanks for the help!
    This is the record the first link gave me:
    and the site's DMARC wizard spit this out:
    So that's what I placed. After giving them time to settle in, I'm still getting that banner error which I can't Google through how to resolve:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did find these tests to perform:
    Is this an issue I can resolve?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  15. schwim

I can't even send mail from Roundcube, it times out when trying to send an email. Just states that the action timed out. I'm pretty sure the banner mismatch would effect this. It seems like my problems are much larger than just that.
    I tried restarting postfix and got this:
    I followed the 3.1 tutorial on securing the server with an LE certificate. Perhaps that the reason for those errors?

16. till

Take a look into the mail.log file, which errors do you get there when you try to send an email in Roundcube?

17. Taleman

18. schwim

Hi there guys and thanks for the continued assistace, I really appreciate it!
    Here's my mailog: https://hastebin.com/cazocozebe.coffeescript
    I can see my connection attempts from sending mail via GMail:
    But there's a lot of failure in that mailog and I understand none of it.

I have read that but I'm not sure yet how to resolve it. As I understand it, however, this should not cause the complete failure of both sending and receiving mail on my server. Everyone lists it as a "should-do" for protecting your mail's reputation. When I do a reverse lookup on MXTools, I get this:
    Does that mean I need to get OVH to change it to server.schwimserver2.com(My server's FQDN) or is it something I can resolve on my end?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  19. Taleman

At least for dedicated OVH servers there is IP management, where I could alter the reverse DNS PTR record to my liking.
    Code:
    sysman@csgo:~$ host scotchandiron.org
    scotchandiron.org has address 66.70.180.182
    scotchandiron.org mail is handled by 1 server.schwimserver2.com.
    sysman@csgo:~$ host server.schwimserver2.com
    server.schwimserver2.com has address 66.70.180.182
    sysman@csgo:~$ host 66.70.180.182
    182.180.70.66.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ns544965.ip-66-70-180.net.
    sysman@csgo:~$

Indeed, the PTR reverse DNS record does not point to your mail server server.schwimserver2.com.

20. schwim

I found the ability to change the hostname for the IP and have done so. When I check the host now, it shows properly(server.schwimserver2.com). My issues persist, however. Mail being sent to [email protected] never shows up and sending mail from Roundcube from that address just times out .

I did a subsequent mx test and I'm getting this:
    [​IMG]

But I did add the DMARC record for scotchandiron:
    So I thought maybe I was supposed to add a record for server.schwimserver2.com, so I added the exact same DMARC record for it. After that addition, it still shows as "No DMARC Record found"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019